Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Started by jimmy olsen, September 18, 2012, 05:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:42:00 PM
Alcoa is still a massively profitable company even though the price of aluminum fell through the floor in the last 200 years. The same thing will happen with Planetary Resources and platinum.

Alcoa isn't massively profitable - in fact, it recorded a slight loss in the second quarter of 2012.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:34:25 PM
They will once they get their asteroid mines up and running.
If.  First, there's the IF, Tim.

It's still a theoritical venture, so far.  They need the equipment and the people to get up there.

One example: down to good ole Earth, in a corner of the world relatively not so far from where I live, there is a company working there to produce aluminum with a new process not involving bauxite.  Lots of people are excited by this start up company.  It constantly gets delisted & relisted on TSE.

Theoritically, the process is sound.  And it works.

However, that company is still not turning a profit and the sales are negligeable.

In that same corner of the world, there is also proven oil reserves.  The company exploiting the oil belongs to Suncore, IIRC.  It's still not turning a profit, despite doing exploration drilling since the early 2000s.

So when it comes to "deep space" drilling involving a new process, with new tools, I am very skeptical that such a company will turn a profit in the short-mid term horizon, given the difficulties down to earth corporations can experience.

Bottom line: I like the news, it's a big theortical advance promising for the future, but we're not there yet, and we probably won't make the first warp tests until you and I are very old men :)

And Alcoa is a well diversified corporations with multiple ventures that can offsets the loss of one sector.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 08:40:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2012, 07:52:18 PM
Asteroid mining only makes sense it's to support infrastructure in space.  Most Asteroids are made out of base elements that pretty common on earth.  Iron, carbon, silicon...  That's pretty cheap stuff.
They also have high concentrations of elements that are much more rare on Earth. Gold, platinum and the aptly named rare earths among them.

They are rare in space as well.  I don't recall lots of gold nuggets that fall from the sky, or Platinum on the moon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2012, 11:03:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 08:40:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2012, 07:52:18 PM
Asteroid mining only makes sense it's to support infrastructure in space.  Most Asteroids are made out of base elements that pretty common on earth.  Iron, carbon, silicon...  That's pretty cheap stuff.
They also have high concentrations of elements that are much more rare on Earth. Gold, platinum and the aptly named rare earths among them.

They are rare in space as well.  I don't recall lots of gold nuggets that fall from the sky, or Platinum on the moon.
Actually, they're much less rare, which you would know if you would just read the literature.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Its name escapes me but there is one which has a very high quantity of gold. Its out there.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2012, 01:30:52 AM
Its name escapes me but there is one which has a very high quantity of gold. Its out there.

El Dorado.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Eddie Teach

I'm guessing that they're guessing based on its shininess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2012, 09:58:11 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:34:25 PM
They will once they get their asteroid mines up and running.
If.  First, there's the IF, Tim.

It's still a theoritical venture, so far.  They need the equipment and the people to get up there.

One example: down to good ole Earth, in a corner of the world relatively not so far from where I live, there is a company working there to produce aluminum with a new process not involving bauxite.  Lots of people are excited by this start up company.  It constantly gets delisted & relisted on TSE.

Theoritically, the process is sound.  And it works.

However, that company is still not turning a profit and the sales are negligeable.

In that same corner of the world, there is also proven oil reserves.  The company exploiting the oil belongs to Suncore, IIRC.  It's still not turning a profit, despite doing exploration drilling since the early 2000s.

So when it comes to "deep space" drilling involving a new process, with new tools, I am very skeptical that such a company will turn a profit in the short-mid term horizon, given the difficulties down to earth corporations can experience.

And not just when new technologies or newly discovered resources are involved.  Something like 2/3 of all new businessed fail within the first few years, even when they're something as simple as a corner grocery store.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2012, 01:49:02 AM
I'm guessing that they're guessing based on its shininess.

Actually, the numbers come from a Seattle Times article that has no sources or citations whatsoever - it is just a short "scientists say" filler piece that smells of made-up bullshit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Are there any asteroids that consist of submissive women?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2012, 12:14:02 AM
Actually, they're much less rare, which you would know if you would just read the literature.
You must be using some new definition of rare that you made up yourself.  10,000 tons in all of space is pretty insignificant.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 20, 2012, 01:39:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2012, 12:49:56 AM
Has anyone ever found gold on an asteroid?
10,000 tons of Gold, 100,000 tons of Platinum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%286178%29_1986_DA

Make sure you keep us posted when they start bringing that shit back so we can all get rich shorting the gold and platinum markets.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers