Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Started by jimmy olsen, September 18, 2012, 05:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2012, 07:40:42 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 07:33:49 AM
Mankind isn't interested in space travel.

Because we're not investing billions in some fantasy contraption?
No.  This bullshit isn't technically feasible.

Space travel will cost money, and we'll always vote to spend the money on something to make us more comfortable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 07:58:39 AM

Space travel will cost money, and we'll always vote to spend the money on something to make us more comfortable.
Elon Musk and the folks at Planetary Resources seem to be willing to spend plenty.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Faeelin on September 18, 2012, 07:24:24 AM
I mean it's great they have this theory, but given that they've got no evidence this will work I don't see any reason for the hype the story's getting. It's on every geek site, facebook, etc.
of course we have no evidence, it's just a theory so far.  Just like the first time we talk about a cloaking device, but now it can be done.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 08:02:34 AM

Elon Musk and the folks at Planetary Resources seem to be willing to spend plenty.
They don't have a couple of trillion dollars, and so they are irrelevant.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 07:28:09 PM

And Muslims will kill them when they take over the world anyway.

jimmy olsen

They will once they get their asteroid mines up and running.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:34:25 PM

Firstly, they won't ever get them up and running.  Secondly, I suggest you google supply and demand.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:34:25 PM

Firstly, they won't ever get them up and running.  Secondly, I suggest you google supply and demand.
Alcoa is still a massively profitable company even though the price of aluminum fell through the floor in the last 200 years. The same thing will happen with Planetary Resources and platinum.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Asteroid mining only makes sense it's to support infrastructure in space.  Most Asteroids are made out of base elements that pretty common on earth.  Iron, carbon, silicon...  That's pretty cheap stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:42:00 PM
Alcoa is still a massively profitable company even though the price of aluminum fell through the floor in the last 200 years. The same thing will happen with Planetary Resources and platinum.
Except that Alcoa wasn't breaking the law, and so won't have to forfeit all their profits.

Besides, the insurance premiums alone would prevent such a company from actually doing business.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 05:51:21 AM
Fuck that shit.  You see the Warhammer 40K shitstorm the Event Horizon opened?  Nightmares of dead wives with no eyeballs, man.

Impulse power is safer.

Perhaps we shouldn't send widowers into space then.  Maybe bitter divorced men would be a better idea.

*Eyeless dead wife shows up*

"I was your wife"

"Ex-wife.  You ran off with the lawyer"

"Your actions have led me to my death"

"Well, I guess I don't have to write the alimony check this month then".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Humanity is interested in space travel, asteroid mining probally will happen, etc....
Just...not on a Timmy time scale. :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 08:26:41 PM
Just wait until Muslims fly an asteroid into Manhattan.

Why not, they just walk around one in a big circle as it is.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2012, 07:52:18 PM
Asteroid mining only makes sense it's to support infrastructure in space.  Most Asteroids are made out of base elements that pretty common on earth.  Iron, carbon, silicon...  That's pretty cheap stuff.
They also have high concentrations of elements that are much more rare on Earth. Gold, platinum and the aptly named rare earths among them.

1 Karma Chameleon point