US-Afghan military operations suspended after attacks

Started by jimmy olsen, September 17, 2012, 11:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 18, 2012, 10:01:41 AM
Is that failure military or poltiical?

Both.  The military refused to adapt because they rather blow shit up than build something, while the political leadership (of both parties) failed to execute proper oversight.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 18, 2012, 10:09:59 AM

Both.  The military refused to adapt because they rather blow shit up than build something, while the political leadership (of both parties) failed to execute proper oversight.
Is that oversite politically feasible though? The natural reaction to politicians is to CYA.  If they tried something like what you suggest, at the first bump in the road the politician would be under intense pressure to back off and do things the normal way.  The dead hand of fate is at work.
PDH!

Hansmeister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 18, 2012, 10:34:27 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on September 18, 2012, 10:09:59 AM

Is that oversite politically feasible though? The natural reaction to politicians is to CYA.  If they tried something like what you suggest, at the first bump in the road the politician would be under intense pressure to back off and do things the normal way.  The dead hand of fate is at work.

God forbid our political leaders would, you know, lead.

Both parties put the military on too much of a pedestal and then are unwilling to criticize it on anything more substantial than gays in the military or whether women can serve in combat.

The problem is that our politicians are both too stupid and too pussy to provide proper oversight.

Razgovory

Funny, everyone was bitching that Politicians meddle to much to excuse the failures of 40 years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Man... 11 years in Afghanistan and counting. Had my program been adopted, the tens of thousands of Afghan kids specially educated and trained by us starting in 2001 would be super American-flavored Afghan adults by now, ready to begin taking over the Afghan military, government, and economy. :(

Razgovory

I think we should go with my plan.  Sell it to China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2012, 05:16:14 PM
I think we should go with my plan.  Sell it to China.
China has already bought, with or without us. IIRC, they are the new chief exploiter of Afghanistan's vast mineral wealth. We provide the free security and roads.

Razgovory

How much mineral wealth is actually exploited in Afghanistan?

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2012, 05:21:46 PM
How much mineral wealth is actually exploited in Afghanistan?
"In a deal finalized in 2011, China’s National Petroleum Corporation became the first foreign company to tap into Afghanistan’s oil and gas reserves. Chinese officials have estimated that the deal could be worth at least $700 million, but some say China could earn up to 10 times that.

China has not participated in the war effort, but it has managed to gain the biggest stake in Afghan minerals. In 2007, China inked a $3.5 billion deal securing access to copper mines in Mes Aynak, south of Kabul."

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2011/1228/China-wins-700-million-Afghan-oil-and-gas-deal.-Why-didn-t-the-US-bid

Recent article this past week on Afghan mining: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/world/asia/afghans-wary-as-efforts-pick-up-to-tap-mineral-riches.html