Rhode Island school bans father-daughter dances, says they break the law

Started by jimmy olsen, September 18, 2012, 05:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

This is just stupid. :wacko:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13938087-rhode-island-school-bans-father-daughter-dances-says-they-break-the-law?lite
QuoteRhode Island school bans father-daughter dances, says they break the law

By NBC News staff

The school system in Cranston, R.I., announced it is banning traditional father-daughter and mother-son activities, saying they are a violation of the state's gender discrimination law, the Providence Journal reported late Monday.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

Superintendent Judith Lundsten told the newspaper the decision was in response to a complaint from the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of a single mother who said her daughter was not able to attend a father-daughter dance.

"This is 2012 and they [public schools] should not be in the business of fostering blatant gender stereotypes," Steven Brown of the Rhode Island ACLU told WPRO News.

According to the Providence Journal, Lundsten said that while federal law banning gender discrimination gives an exemption for such gender-specific events, Rhode Island law does not.

In a letter sent out in August, Lundsten says, "I acknowledge that many of these events have long traditions and for many parents, these types of gender-based events are not an issue, however, this is a public school system and under no circumstances should we be isolating any student from full participation in school activities and events based on gender," according to WPRO.

Sean Gately, a Republican state Senate candidate, brought the ban to light Monday, adding that, if elected, he would work to change the state law, the newspaper reported.

According to The Associated Press, School Committee member Janice Ruggieri said the school system can begin hosting "family dances" to accommodate all kinds of parenting situations.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

If it is an annual tradition at the school, let them keep it and stop crying.

However, where there is no preexisting father-daughter dance, a school should not start one; and instead focus on firing bad teachers.

Razgovory

I have it on good authority that Rhode Island isn't even an Island.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Phillip V

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 18, 2012, 05:29:42 PM
Let single moms go to a father-daughter dance.

Problem solved.
But then single moms and their daughters would feel like awkward outcasts. So they sue and shut down the dance. Problem solved.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 18, 2012, 05:29:42 PM
Let single moms go to a father-daughter dance.

Problem solved.
Yes.  I imagine the issue began when the authorities barred the single mother and her kid from attending the dance.  Probably told her in no certain terms that they weren't welcome.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

QuoteAccording to The Associated Press, School Committee member Janice Ruggieri said the school system can begin hosting "family dances" to accommodate all kinds of parenting situations.

Ok...so why did they not just keep the existing dances and just rename them 'family dance #1' and 'family dance #2'?  But instead they had to ban them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 06:46:14 PM
QuoteAccording to The Associated Press, School Committee member Janice Ruggieri said the school system can begin hosting "family dances" to accommodate all kinds of parenting situations.

Ok...so why did they not just keep the existing dances and just rename them 'family dance #1' and 'family dance #2'?  But instead they had to ban them?
Just doing that wouldn't generate any headlines or incur legal fees. Therefore, not workable.
PDH!

Phillip V

The real solution is to reduce out-of-wedlock births and help heterosexual mothers find a good husband. :showoff:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on September 18, 2012, 07:26:29 PM
The real solution is to reduce out-of-wedlock births and help heterosexual mothers find a good husband. :showoff:
State sanctioned arranged marriages organized by computerized algorithm! 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2012, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 18, 2012, 07:26:29 PM
State sanctioned arranged marriages organized by computerized algorithm! 
Marriage is an art, not a science!