Obama to block release of detainee abuse photos

Started by Weatherman, May 13, 2009, 02:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteWASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is seeking to block the release of hundreds of photos showing prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan being abused, reversing his position after military commanders warned that the images could stoke anti-American sentiment and endanger U.S. troops.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_pentagon_abuse_photos

Hmm..

Caliga

When Hans shows up, this thread will take a turn for the amusing.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Good going Obama admin. Many of these photos were evidence for charges brought against people by the military or judiciary. If the info is to be released, then release the transcripts of the trials and punishment handed out. Releasing these photos are a great propaganda tool for radicals, who won't bother to note that the pics were used as evidence, or that people were prosecuted. That this is not the norm in how US officials and military act, but an aberration.

The Minsky Moment

This really dumb.  the government lost the case.  They lost in front of Judge Hellerstein, who presided over much of the 9/11 cases and presumably knows a proper national security issue when he sees one.  They lost on appeal in front of the panel 3-0 and they lost the petition to rehear the case in front of the full appeals court.  Now they are going to try to appeal this turkey to the Supreme Court?

Stupid.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Ok having something like Guantanamo Bay and abusing detainees was disgraceful enough but why did the government feel the need to take HUNDREDS of photographs of it?  You would think the Abu Ghraib would have taught somebody in the government a lesson.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 05:28:06 PM
Ok having something like Guantanamo Bay and abusing detainees was disgraceful enough but why did the government feel the need to take HUNDREDS of photographs of it?  You would think the Abu Ghraib would have taught somebody in the government a lesson.

You gotta have something to wank to.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Yep. Never take a camera into combat.
Even if it is crystal clear PID, someone, somewhere, will find something wrong with it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 13, 2009, 05:30:12 PM

You gotta have something to wank to.
Yeah. You can't like torture someone every time you want to wank.  :rolleyes:

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 13, 2009, 05:39:35 PM

Yep. Never take a camera into combat.
Even if it is crystal clear PID, someone, somewhere, will find something wrong with it.
Most people don't need to see the need for soldiers anymore.  But even more importantly, we've forgotten that all international law, including the laws of war, was written with the caveat that it could immeidately and unilaterally be discarded if it was convenient to do so.

Once they started making up 'crimes' to execute their enemies under, rather than just executing them for losing, we lost our way.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

The gov't didn't take the pictures, the perps did.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 13, 2009, 10:11:04 PM

Why did the government give the terrorists cameras.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 10:12:10 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on May 13, 2009, 10:11:04 PM

Why did the government give the terrorists cameras.

The perps being the guards in Abu Ghrab that were convicted in court.

The Minsky Moment

The Pentagon's position here is perfectly understandable - the photos are embarassing to them and threaten to dredge back up again one of the less edifying moments in American military history.

Obama's OTOH position is inexcusable - he (correctly) made Bush's disgraceful evisceration of FOIA -- a federal law he was bound by oath to uphold and enforce - a major issue in his campaign.  It just goes to show Lord Acton is always right.  However sane a person appears to be going into the White House, they can't seem to control themselves from being taken over by the seductions of the imperial (and imperious) presidency.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Faeelin

I can see Obama's rationale. If the photos are as terrible as they sound (and it seems like, to block them, they have to be worse than Abu Graib) how could he avoid prosecuting people for this?