1 year on, Occupy is in disarray; spirit lives on

Started by garbon, September 17, 2012, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 07:44:55 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2012, 07:10:47 AM
Does anyone think that?  They had a surplus of messages. 

What they lacked entirely was policy.  So the pointlessness of the movement was exposed from the very first.

Is it a protest's movements responsibility to form policy?  That is a pretty absurd and ridiculous demand, not even the most brilliant minds in the world can come up with decent policies to solve our current problems.

Sure it is.  Now usually that policy is pretty simple and basic - "No Poll Tax", "Mubarak Must Resign", "We want elections".  But there needs to be some kind of basic policy you are trying to implement.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

QuoteSure it is.  Now usually that policy is pretty simple and basic - "No Poll Tax", "Mubarak Must Resign", "We want elections".  But there needs to be some kind of basic policy you are trying to implement.

I couldn't disagree more.  Sometimes you need to make those in power know the natives are restless.  I mean obviously if there is something obvious to be done sure that really helps but all that is required to protest is a grievence.  That grievance can be perfectly justified without necessarily having a program of reform.  Especially in this case because nobody really has any idea how to fix the problems.  I mean we are demanding something of the hoi polloi we are not getting from elites.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 09:38:27 AM
I couldn't disagree more.  Sometimes you need to make those in power know the natives are restless.  I mean obviously if there is something obvious to be done sure that really helps but all that is required to protest is a grievence.  That grievance can be perfectly justified without necessarily having a program of reform.  Especially in this case because nobody really has any idea how to fix the problems.  I mean we are demanding something of the hoi polloi we are not getting from elites.

So the natives are restless, big fucking deal.  Guess what?  The elites don't care.  Why?  Because there's nothing to be afraid of.  Certainly not from the government, so why should a handful of fucking hipsters matter?

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 09:18:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 08:45:53 AM
The anti-abortion movement in the early '80s had nothing but slogans, too.  Until doctors started getting whacked and clinics started getting blown up.  Imma jus sayin'.

You're saying that you think it'd be a good idea if we descended into violence?

I'm not saying that.  Because that would be wrong.

It'd actually just be incredibly stupid. Yay things are bad, let's make them worse! :w00t:

Complacency is worse. You saying things became worse for the french peasant because of the violent revolution?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on September 18, 2012, 09:59:25 AM
Complacency is worse. You saying things became worse for the french peasant because of the violent revolution?

I think in general, yes, things in France became way worse before they became better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 09:51:23 AM
why should a handful of fucking hipsters matter?

That's a general question though really should just be rhetorical.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 09:23:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
It'd actually just be incredibly stupid. Yay things are bad, let's make them worse! :w00t:

That's a bit subjective, now isn't it?

No not really. I think for everyone an increase in violence is a net negative - at least for the short term.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 09:38:27 AM
QuoteSure it is.  Now usually that policy is pretty simple and basic - "No Poll Tax", "Mubarak Must Resign", "We want elections".  But there needs to be some kind of basic policy you are trying to implement.

Really? Then what you get is a movement that dies out without changing much.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2012, 09:33:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 07:44:55 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2012, 07:10:47 AM
Does anyone think that?  They had a surplus of messages. 

What they lacked entirely was policy.  So the pointlessness of the movement was exposed from the very first.

Is it a protest's movements responsibility to form policy?  That is a pretty absurd and ridiculous demand, not even the most brilliant minds in the world can come up with decent policies to solve our current problems.

Sure it is.  Now usually that policy is pretty simple and basic - "No Poll Tax", "Mubarak Must Resign", "We want elections".  But there needs to be some kind of basic policy you are trying to implement.

Wouldn't the basic policy here be "reduce income inequality"?

The problem is that there is no easy way to achieve that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 10:09:22 AM

Which is exactly what it did.  And generally does.  Even when a movement like that has success it historically tends to have problems, like alot of peasant movements.  But I thought we were talking about its legitimacy not its effectiveness.   I never said the Occupy movement was a successful movement only that it was in reaction to legitimate problems and did reflect popular anger.  It was not just hipsters out being cool by fightin' the man or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 11:05:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 10:09:22 AM

Which is exactly what it did.  And generally does.  Even when a movement like that has success it historically tends to have problems, like alot of peasant movements.  But I thought we were talking about its legitimacy not its effectiveness.   I never said the Occupy movement was a successful movement only that it was in reaction to legitimate problems and did reflect popular anger.  It was not just hipsters out being cool by fightin' the man or whatever.

I don't think so. Yours is the first post to mention legitimacy.  Most recent discussion stemmed off of Yi responding to Ide's comments about people not listening who say OWS didn't have a message.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 11:26:02 AM
I don't think so. Yours is the first post to mention legitimacy.  Most recent discussion stemmed off of Yi responding to Ide's comments about people not listening who say OWS didn't have a message.

They did have a message which is what I meant by legitimacy...just no solutions.  Which I do not judge them too much for because nobody really does. 

Their message is that the elites have let us down and it is the people, not them, who are suffering for their mistakes.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2012, 11:34:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2012, 11:26:02 AM

They did have a message which is what I meant by legitimacy...just no solutions.  Which I do not judge them too much for because nobody really does. 

Their message is that the elites have let us down and it is the people, not them, who are suffering for their mistakes.

I don't see how any of that counters Yi's point that it was...pointless.