Question to Joan, Malthus etc. - bigoted clients

Started by Martinus, September 17, 2012, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Hey guys, have you ever had a situation where a client would make offensive, eg antisemitic remarks in your presence (without knowing you are Jewish)? If so how do you react?

I have it sometimes with homophobic stuff (eg. someone remarks that gays are disgusting) and don't know how to react.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2012, 02:22:04 PM
Hey guys, have you ever had a situation where a client would make offensive, eg antisemitic remarks in your presence (without knowing you are Jewish)? If so how do you react?

I have it sometimes with homophobic stuff (eg. someone remarks that gays are disgusting) and don't know how to react.

I give them a firm warning that while they may think that way, it is important that they not express such a view in the courtroom.  But I'm a litigator, and you are not.  You're probably in a tough spot, since the client is the one who pays the bill.  You're in a doubly tough spot because you're probably still an associate, and it isn't "your" client, but rather the partner's client.  Ultimately if you're so uncomfortable working for an offensive client you are better off just ceasing to act - but you may not have that option.

But ultimately, no, I don't think you call them on it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Lawyers aren't supposed to have feelings when there's money to be made.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I imagine that happens in Poland more then downtown Manhattan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2012, 02:46:42 PM

In poland they are predjudiced against fags and joos. In civilzed places they are bigoted against lawyers. I suppose all lawyers have to deal with clients that hate them for who they are.

To quote the bard.. "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2012, 02:46:42 PM

No kidding.  I thought they removed their emotion chip during the first year, somewhere between Torts I and II.

Ed Anger

Bigot's money is just as good as other people's money.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2012, 06:02:53 PM
Bigot's money is just as good as other people's money.
Better, because he can feel the extra satisfaction when he goes out and buys something kinky. Like Gold Bond :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

I've never encountered this problem - but then, my clients are mostly business-legal professional types. They may well be bigoted, but they generally know better than to express it in a professional setting.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2012, 02:22:04 PM

I'm always the consumate professional. Then again, I just don't get alot of customers suddenly holding forth on gays and whatever kills crops/boners among heterosexual men like you do in Poland.

Martinus...I think it's time for you to downgrade your pillow-biting to a side dish of your personality. A thick fruity salad, for sure, but a salad nontheless next to the meat and fat. Make it an incidental part of your personality, like liking MMO's or social democracy.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

Are you in need of representation, Marty? Is that why you're asking?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers