1 year on, Occupy is in disarray; spirit lives on

Started by garbon, September 17, 2012, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2012, 04:37:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2012, 02:38:39 PM
I just fail to see the merit of the occupy movement. It is a bunch of people being frustrated for a myriad of reasons, and I am not sure about two things:
-that the number of frustrated people in a society can be pushed below a minimum number regardless of system or efforts
-that the western world's number of frustrated people is significantly above that number

Pretty much, yeah.  The unfortunate thing is that with today's social media these scattered losers can find each other more easily.

They are just the left wing version of the Tea Party movement.  They just chose the Big Bidness as their bugbear instead of the Gubmint.

I think the lower classes in the US are getting restless.  Their avenues of raising themselves in ways that do not involve academic brilliance or shrewd entrepreneurship are getting narrower.  Finding the right people to blame for their problems is challenging in today's complex modern world.

They should just blame foreigners.  Maybe Canadians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 04:57:34 PM
They are just the left wing version of the Tea Party movement.  They just chose the Big Bidness as their bugbear instead of the Gubmint.

I think the lower classes in the US are getting restless.  Their avenues of raising themselves in ways that do not involve academic brilliance or shrewd entrepreneurship are getting narrower.  Finding the right people to blame for their problems is challenging in today's complex modern world.

They should just blame foreigners.  Maybe Canadians.

But a lot of the Occupy people weren't the lower classes. After all, if you're living paycheck to paycheck, you don't really have a lot of time to camp out and play drums in a concrete park.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2012, 05:07:45 PM
But a lot of the Occupy people weren't the lower classes. After all, if you're living paycheck to paycheck, you don't really have a lot of time to camp out and play drums in a concrete park.

If everybody was living paycheck to paycheck, as in getting paychecks, there would not be these movements happening because...well...just as you say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 05:12:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2012, 05:07:45 PM

If everybody was living paycheck to paycheck, as in getting paychecks, there would not be these movements happening because...well...just as you say.

I'm unconvinced that most of the Occupy Wall Streeters were unemployed.  Those photos sure don't look like the unemployed - they often look like Williamsburg.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on September 17, 2012, 05:16:21 PM
Any good-looking OWS females this week?

I saw a decent brunette.

Oh, here she is:  all serious and whatnot.  Probably fucks you in a beret.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2012, 05:16:13 PM
I'm unconvinced that most of the Occupy Wall Streeters were unemployed.  Those photos sure don't look like the unemployed - they often look like Williamsburg.

Yeah ok there were no Occupy Wall Street or similar movements going on before 2007.

And what the hell does Williamsburg mean?  Were they dressed up like Colonial Virginians?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 05:25:36 PM
And what the hell does Williamsburg mean?  Were they dressed up like Colonial Virginians?

:lol:  Wrong zip code, man.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

The trouble with Occupy was that it was disorganized and had no focus other than camping out and making silly chants about 1 per cent milk or whatever it was. I'm with CDM on this, they needed some good old fashioned violence. Get the cops out with dogs and tear gas. Do what they did in Egypt. Camping out in city parks just doesn't cut it as far as revolutions go.

It did seem an OK idea at first, got them and their message, whatever it was, on the news. But after a week or so it needed to mobilize and try a different tactic to keep it going. Instead they got silly with all those hand gestures instead of shouting and hippy dippy stuff.

A year later, I'm still not sure what they were up to.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

The big problem with OWS was they didn't have a single person in their slogan production department who had even the dimmest understanding of cause and effect.