News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who Do You Root For: Barbarians or Romans?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 15, 2012, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just read the fucking thread title.

Romans
34 (64.2%)
Barbarians
15 (28.3%)
Jaroni
4 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2012, 04:07:48 PM
Spoken like a fucking anthropologist.

Never really bought it.  As soon as a tribe or band adopts a more despotic government it immediately stops being a tribe or band.  I can think of lots of tribal societies that were in fact pretty despotic.  For instance the Zulus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2012, 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2012, 04:07:48 PM
Spoken like a fucking anthropologist.

Never really bought it.  As soon as a tribe or band adopts a more despotic government it immediately stops being a tribe or band.  I can think of lots of tribal societies that were in fact pretty despotic.  For instance the Zulus.

Youse both wrong - Germans and Zulus were not "tribal" in organization, but examples of "chiefdoms" in anthro-speak.  :smarty:

QuoteAnthropologists and archaeologists have demonstrated through research that chiefdoms are a relatively unstable form of social organization. They are prone to cycles of collapse and renewal, in which tribal units band together, expand in power, fragment through some form of social stress, and band together again. An example of this kind of social organization were the Germanic Peoples who conquered the western Roman Empire in the 5th century CE. Although commonly referred to as tribes, anthropologists classified their society as chiefdoms. They had a complex social hierarchy consisting of kings, a warrior aristocracy, common freemen, serfs and slaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiefdom

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Yeah, yeah.  As soon as we give them a close look and find they aren't really noble savages they get bumped up to different social structure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: citizen k on September 27, 2012, 11:13:33 PM
King Arthur? DNA? Archeological record?
And that's the basis of self-identification with the past? :blink:

QuoteWhat aspects of current English culture do you ascribe to the Anglo-Saxons?  Apart from the soccer hooliganism of course.
More or less everything, certainly everything good - the class system, snobbery, absurd titles and feudalism were the Normans.

With the exception of a couple of city names and a few (still used) roads, I don't think there's any legacy of the Romano-British.  They don't have an identity in the popular imagination.  Our olive oil using, villa-dwelling, wine quaffing Romano-British ancestors have never had a great hold on English sense of self.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I root for whoever makes the women do the housework.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

:hmm:

Well, the Romans were more likely to own slaves to do it for her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

The class system is the best part of British culture.  The modern tendency to worship the lower classes as if they are valuable is a mistake.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Open question: why do the Welsh speak a Celtic language and not a Romance one?

And how the fuck did the Basques hold on to a motherfucking pre-Celtic language?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on September 28, 2012, 08:30:35 PM
The Welsh and Yorkshire shepherds?
I don't know why Yorkshire would.  The Celts see themselves as being here before the Romans, often at war with them and occasionally beating them off.

QuoteOpen question: why do the Welsh speak a Celtic language and not a Romance one?
The Welsh are Celts :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2012, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2012, 08:36:35 PM
The Welsh are Celts :blink:

So were the Gauls.  So were the folks in Spain. :mellow:

And anyone with a serious mountain range or other natural barriers to separate themselves from the Latins maintained a Celtic language, to greater or lesser degrees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_nations#Iberian_Peninsula

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2012, 08:40:05 PM
So were the Gauls.  So were the folks in Spain. :mellow:
The Welsh never got properly conquered by the Romans and many of the remaining Romano-British (who often spoke a Celtic language - as would Gallo-Romans) were forced into to Wales (Old English for 'foreigners') by the Anglo-Saxons.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2012, 08:35:59 PM
Open question: why do the Welsh speak a Celtic language and not a Romance one?

And how the fuck did the Basques hold on to a motherfucking pre-Celtic language?
Cmon Yi. We are bad ass people, you've met me and I'm only half basque :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son