News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who Do You Root For: Barbarians or Romans?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 15, 2012, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just read the fucking thread title.

Romans
34 (64.2%)
Barbarians
15 (28.3%)
Jaroni
4 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 15, 2012, 07:20:42 PM
Aetius, Stichico, Aegidius and Majorian rock.

Aeitus was raised by Huns.  Stilicho's father was a Vandal.  Aegidius led predominantly Frankish armies.  Majorian's forces were a veritable rainbow coalition of the barbarian world.

So I guess you are voting Barbarian?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 19, 2012, 12:51:44 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 15, 2012, 07:20:42 PM
Aetius, Stichico, Aegidius and Majorian rock.

Aeitus was raised by Huns.  Stilicho's father was a Vandal.  Aegidius led predominantly Frankish armies.  Majorian's forces were a veritable rainbow coalition of the barbarian world.

I didn't vote. You do get a Ed Anger hug for knowing that stuff though.

I haven't taken my shower today though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I call foul.  The Roman Empire from the very beginning was assimilationist.  Romanness was a function of shared cultural values, not of belonging to the proper gene pool.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2012, 05:02:33 PM

I call foul.  The Roman Empire from the very beginning was assimilationist.  Romanness was a function of shared cultural values, not of belonging to the proper gene pool.

And Stilicho lost his life during the Empire's anti German purge in 408(I THINK. going on memory). Which weakened the army enough to allow Alaric to break into Italy and sack Rome. Honorius sure wasn't going to do jack shit about Alaric. He was too busy playing with his chicken behind the walls of Ravenna.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2012, 05:02:33 PM

I agree but you are calling foul on the entire premise of your poll that there is a clear dialectical opposition between "Roman" and "Barbarian".  The Franks of the Late Empire for example were pretty reliable imperial allies for much of the period and wanted to carve a place for themselves within the imperial structure.   Theodoric was a Roman in any cultural sense that matters and his kingdom was just as Roman (if not more so) than the regimes of the later emperors - even down to the legal fiction of accepting appointment as the Eastern Emperor's magister militum and election to the consulate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

The important part of Roman history is the Early Republic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The Inheritance of Rome (Europe 600-1000) makes for good follow up reading, though. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2012, 09:42:47 AM
The Inheritance of Rome (Europe 600-1000) makes for good follow up reading, though. :)

Peter Heather's two books are nice adjuncts as well:

The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians
Empires and Barbarians: The Fall of Rome and the Birth of Europe
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2012, 10:53:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2012, 09:42:47 AM

Peter Heather's two books are nice adjuncts as well:

The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians
Empires and Barbarians: The Fall of Rome and the Birth of Europe

I'd say those three are better than Goldsworthy's.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 20, 2012, 09:36:06 AM
I agree but you are calling foul on the entire premise of your poll that there is a clear dialectical opposition between "Roman" and "Barbarian".  The Franks of the Late Empire for example were pretty reliable imperial allies for much of the period and wanted to carve a place for themselves within the imperial structure.   Theodoric was a Roman in any cultural sense that matters and his kingdom was just as Roman (if not more so) than the regimes of the later emperors - even down to the legal fiction of accepting appointment as the Eastern Emperor's magister militum and election to the consulate.

The examples you are citing are from the time when the Western Empire had been reduced to a rump state.  Up until that time it was clear who was who.  When the Visigoths attacked the Vandals and Alans that didn't make them Roman, that made them temporary allies of Rome.

On the Heather note, this poll was prompted by my purchase and reading of the 2nd book mentioned.  I think the book fails.  Incredibly repetitious.  Could have been compressed to 150 pages.

Queequeg

Just curious-does anyone else kind of associate themselves with the side they "look like"?  My father is medium height, big nose, broad-shouldered, (had) curly dark-brown hair, fairly thick beard with a lot of body hair.  I'm very tall, blonde, medium-width, massively long limbs, shit beard.  I feel like a Saxon, even though I'm pretty sure my dad (at least as far as phenotype is concerned) is about as purely pre-Germanic as you would get.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on September 20, 2012, 05:57:01 PM
Just curious-does anyone else kind of associate themselves with the side they "look like"?  My father is medium height, big nose, broad-shouldered, (had) curly dark-brown hair, fairly thick beard with a lot of body hair.  I'm very tall, blonde, medium-width, massively long limbs, shit beard.  I feel like a Saxon, even though I'm pretty sure my dad (at least as far as phenotype is concerned) is about as purely pre-Germanic as you would get.

Do you ever think about anything that isn't race?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.