News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who Do You Root For: Barbarians or Romans?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 15, 2012, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just read the fucking thread title.

Romans
34 (64.2%)
Barbarians
15 (28.3%)
Jaroni
4 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 02:51:15 PM
The Line between Romans and Barbarians gets really blurred as time goes on.

Nothing is more puzzling than the continuous need of nations to invade Rome and China.  And just to add insult to injury after the Slavs rolled in nobody ever invaded Europe again.  The Romans just needed to hold out for two hundred more years.

On that line between Romans and Barbarians--yeah towards the end I don't think there was so much difference.

Don't you think Rome and China were invaded because a) they had cool stuff to take, and b) invading each other is what ancient people did (and not so ancient people too).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Nothing is more puzzling than the continuous need of nations to invade Rome and China.  And just to add insult to injury after the Slavs rolled in nobody ever invaded Europe again.  The Romans just needed to hold out for two hundred more years.
:mad:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 17, 2012, 03:57:03 PM
Don't you think Rome and China were invaded because a) they had cool stuff to take, and b) invading each other is what ancient people did (and not so ancient people too).

There were other ancient states and Empires and none of the others had those sorts of constant pressures.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2012, 04:19:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 04:04:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 04:02:57 PM

Ok fine the Mongols.  But that was a respite of almost 600 years.

Magyars and Vikings get no respect.  :(

The beetlords and the IKEA store owners. Nope, no respect.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Fine nitpick all you want.  But that period of massive tribal confederation after another was just nuts.

I remember hearing about when the Mongols invaded the Jin Empire in northern China.  It was a Chinese Empire being ruled by a conquering Nomadic Tribe...who had conquered it from another Nomadic Tribe.  So the Mongols were the THIRD major Nomadic tribe to conquer Northern China in the recent history of that area.

Sort of like the Huns invading Roman Gaul to fight Goths ruling over Franks.  Only in China or Rome.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2012, 04:21:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 04:04:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 04:02:57 PM

Ok fine the Mongols.  But that was a respite of almost 600 years.

The beetlords and the IKEA store owners. Nope, no respect.

You'll be singing a different tune when IKEA stocks its "FÄRGRIK" line of drinking skulls.  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2012, 04:24:55 PM
You'll be singing a different tune when IKEA stocks its "FÄRGRIK" line of drinking skulls.  :mad:

I searched IKEA and I couldn't find one Dragon Ship.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2012, 04:05:47 PM

There were other ancient states and Empires and none of the others had those sorts of constant pressures.

I don't know...from 100BC to ~175AD I don't know that the Romans were under all that much external pressure. I'm not aware of too many ancient states and empires that went so long without a major invasion or two (egypt excluded due to obvious geographical constraints).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 17, 2012, 04:31:43 PM
I don't know...from 100BC to ~175AD I don't know that the Romans were under all that much external pressure. I'm not aware of too many ancient states and empires that went so long without a major invasion or two (egypt excluded due to obvious geographical constraints).

Oh they were under pressure just their enemies were disunited and more easy defeated or they were Persians but for our purposes Persians do not count.  And of course your dates just cut off the massive invasion that nearly destroyed the Rome and made Ed Anger's favorite Roman famous.

jimmy olsen

If the Romans had remained strong and rich, wouldn't that have inspired barbarians to keep on trying?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

And just to add insult to injury after the Slavs rolled in nobody ever invaded Europe again.  The Romans just needed to hold out for two hundred more years.

Eh? The Muslims held Spain, Sicily and the Balkans at various times for hundreds of years. And the Mongols conquered Russia(though not sure if that counts).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2012, 05:58:01 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2012, 05:24:28 PM
Romano-Byzantines.  Barbarians didn't make Hagia Sophia, wouldn't make anything close to it for nearly a thousand years.

But then the reign of the builder of the Hagia Sophia probably did more than any barbarian to set back civilization in the west.
:yes: Not to mention that Hagia Sophia had a role in converting Russians to Orthodox Christianity.  Poor Vladimir, he chose:  poorly.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2012, 09:59:28 PM
And just to add insult to injury after the Slavs rolled in nobody ever invaded Europe again.  The Romans just needed to hold out for two hundred more years.

Eh? The Muslims held Spain, Sicily and the Balkans at various times for hundreds of years. And the Mongols conquered Russia(though not sure if that counts).

And the Turks that came off the steppes of Asia at the time...  Europe didn't really settle down until the High Middle Ages and then it was narrowly spared the Mongol Hordes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017