News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who Do You Root For: Barbarians or Romans?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 15, 2012, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just read the fucking thread title.

Romans
34 (64.2%)
Barbarians
15 (28.3%)
Jaroni
4 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 15, 2012, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2012, 02:06:14 PM

Gaul wasn't interested in secession at this time period.  They were getting invaded by Germans.

The resolute alliance between Hannibal and the Cisalpine Gauls was the auspicious conjunction of its day.

You are still off by a several hundred years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on September 15, 2012, 01:40:00 PM
Barbarians.  Mein peepz. :showoff:

Seriously, more than likely I have a very high percentage of Alemanni and Frankish blood. :cool:

That would be true if you were descended from Italians as well :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 15, 2012, 02:52:27 PM

Frankish or Alemani blood in Italy?  :hmm:

More likely to have Ostrogothic or Lombard blood.

alfred russel

By the late empire, were the romans still together enough to be worth "cheering for"? There was a lot of convergence with the germanic tribes too. I'd answer that in the republic/earlier empire, I think of the Romans as a civilizing and organizing force. By the late empire, it's not so clear.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2012, 03:03:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 15, 2012, 02:52:27 PM

Frankish or Alemani blood in Italy?  :hmm:

More likely to have Ostrogothic or Lombard blood.

Alright, though there's been a fair amount of fucking around since then - especially in Italy. Between the Normans in Sicily, Barbarossa and his people, and the various French invasions, I think the descendants of the Franks and Alemanni probably sowed their seeds in Italian soil to a reasonable extent.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 15, 2012, 03:14:29 PM
By the late empire, were the romans still together enough to be worth "cheering for"? There was a lot of convergence with the germanic tribes too. I'd answer that in the republic/earlier empire, I think of the Romans as a civilizing and organizing force. By the late empire, it's not so clear.

Wouldn't the "fall of Rome" be better described as a coup? Odoacer was a Roman general who took power from the nominal sovereign and became a hereditary ruler.

It's more similar to Napoleon taking over France than to, say, Genghis Khan's invasion. Yet we do not describe the raise of Napoleon as a war of Corsicans vs. Frenchmen. :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on September 15, 2012, 03:14:29 PM

Huh.  I think of the early Romans more as a pillaging and conquering force.  I find the late Romans more sympathetic as they were less prone to killing people for fun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Phillip V

Barbarian women = smelly?

IIRC, beautiful Roman women were well-groomed and bathed all the time naked with each other? :)