News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Purple Haze.

Started by mongers, September 13, 2012, 07:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 09:08:48 PM
Well it could even have been taken at the same time that Dr.Strangelove was being filmed.

Notice the 60s linoleum floor tiles and the very rudimentary presentation of the fare for the VIPs, just small folding tables covered with a cloth, are those yellow disks ashtrays ?

It was 1962, Mongers.  It's what 1962 looked like:  very 60s.  What with it, you know, being all 1962 and shit.

Ed Anger

I miss that decor. That and the 70's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Sentry, Vietnam possibly Korea, still the job doesn't change nor the boredom:

Seigy might appreciate this one:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

Fuck that 70s shit, all flowers and whatnot.  1958-1967 is where real decor was at, baby.  Living La Vida Swinging Bachelor Pad.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 09:11:41 PM
Well it could even have been taken at the same time that Dr.Strangelove was being filmed.

Notice the 60s linoleum floor tiles and the very rudimentary presentation of the fare for the VIPs, just small folding tables covered with a cloth, are those yellow disks ashtrays ?

It was 1962, Mongers.  It's what 1962 looked like:  very 60s.  What with it, you know, being all 1962 and shit.

:lol:

Yeah, but the young'uns here don't appreciate that there was a time before electronic gadgets, when people used to just carry around a wallet, change, smokes, a lighter and golf tees in their pockets.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 09:14:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

Fuck that 70s shit, all flowers and whatnot.  1958-1967 is where real decor was at, baby.  Living La Vida Swinging Bachelor Pad.

Dude, making love on a shag carpet rocks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 09:16:19 PM

Yeah, but the young'uns here don't appreciate that there was a time before electronic gadgets, when people used to just carry around a wallet, change, smokes, a lighter and golf tees in their pockets.

Yeah, good times.  And some of us are old enough to remember some of that the 60s decor stuff still lying around the house when we were little.  Or, in grumbler's case, the 1860's.

mongers

This could be a still from a Kubrick movie:

This however I don't think the budget would have stretched too:

Why don't we see footage of napalm any more, is it because it's too untidy and messy for modern sanitized televisual wars ?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 09:20:24 PM
Why don't we see footage of napalm any more, is it because it's too untidy and messy for modern sanitized televisual wars ?

Where they've been dropped the last 10 years, not so many cameramen around.  Gulf War 1 saw a shitload of napalm dropped on the IRG, but no cameramen.  Same with Afghanistan, but FAEs are much better.

And, after the Iraq War, we're certainly not dropping any where any faggoty Brits can see it and squeal to the UN about it.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 09:51:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 09:20:24 PM

Where they've been dropped the last 10 years, not so many cameramen around.  Gulf War 1 saw a shitload of napalm dropped on the IRG, but no cameramen.  Same with Afghanistan, but FAEs are much better.

And, after the Iraq War, we're certainly not dropping any where any faggoty Brits can see it and squeal to the UN about it.

I'm not against it's use, pretty much all weapons should be used as war isn't a nice thing, so to pretend otherwise is silly and manipulative.

Just as not showing war dead, enemy, civilian or your own side is an active form of propaganda, hey look war is clean. 

Also why I'm in favour of drafting MPs, senator and congresmen's children.   :D

mongers

I like this one, fraternisation ?

Razgovory

I didn't even know Napalm was used anymore.  Fuck, remember how bitchy everyone got when they were using WP in Fallujah?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 10:03:58 PM
Also why I'm in favour of drafting MPs, senator and congresmen's children.   :D

What's your stance on drafting warmongers?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 09:02:15 PM
I like the Dr Strangelove dude behind and to the right of JFK.  Smoking? With sunglasses indoors?  Gotta be a V-2 Kraut.

Mein Fuhrer!  I can walk!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 09:19:01 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 09:16:19 PM

Yeah, good times.  And some of us are old enough to remember some of that the 60s decor stuff still lying around the house when we were little.  Or, in grumbler's case, the 1860's.

Shit, my aunt still has all her 60's furniture. The paint colors & the LCD TVs are the give dead away, it's a time long passed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.