News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

For all we know, Zeus is frothing in rage at all the new heretic cults that sprang up in the last few thousands of years.  I don't think that even being a devout Christian is going to save you from his rage in that case.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2012, 09:21:48 AMMaybe I'm missing something (as a not particularly religious person) but I don't think you get to pick and choose your gods.  You either believe in them or you don't, no? I thought we were discussing a case where you truly believe that a) a god exists and b) that god is monstrous.

The best thing to do when faced with a hypothetical monstrous god is to hypothesize a less monstrous one.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2012, 09:35:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2012, 09:21:48 AMMaybe I'm missing something (as a not particularly religious person) but I don't think you get to pick and choose your gods.  You either believe in them or you don't, no? I thought we were discussing a case where you truly believe that a) a god exists and b) that god is monstrous.

The best thing to do when faced with a hypothetical monstrous god is to hypothesize a less monstrous one.

But then that defeats what was being discussed - which was what should you do if you believe (truly believe) in the existence of a monstrous god.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2012, 09:35:08 AM

Too uncertain.

Much safer to sacrifice to that monsterous god, to appease his (or her, or its) terrible, terrible wrath.

I can think of several Langisites as possible sources ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I say we have the Canadians draw straws.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 11:26:53 PM
Sigh.  No.  One does not need to believe in predestination to think that rebelling against God is a bad idea.  Jake already doesn't believe in God, so it's a moot point.  His reasoning strikes me as bizarre though, God will reward me if I do the opposite of what he says because I'm staying true to my own moral code that I just made up.

If we are assuming an omnipotent/omniscient god in the Christian mode, my moral code is no more made up than anything else the god created.  The options to my mind are to assume the god isn't as monstrous as he's made out to be (trickster god) or to fight against his monstrousness however I can.  I don't see why what a god says when it conflicts with everything I believe should be followed.  There are too many presumptions that could be wrong.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2012, 09:53:11 AM

The hypothetical monsterous god says Canadians taste bad.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 10:03:18 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2012, 09:53:11 AM

The hypothetical monsterous god says Canadians taste bad.  :P

Nonsense. All monstrous gods love maple syrup.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2012, 09:42:01 AMBut then that defeats what was being discussed - which was what should you do if you believe (truly believe) in the existence of a monstrous god.

You seek psychological help before you hurt yourself or other people.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on September 26, 2012, 09:59:29 AMIf we are assuming an omnipotent/omniscient god in the Christian mode, my moral code is no more made up than anything else the god created.  The options to my mind are to assume the god isn't as monstrous as he's made out to be (trickster god) or to fight against his monstrousness however I can.  I don't see why what a god says when it conflicts with everything I believe should be followed.  There are too many presumptions that could be wrong.

Exactly.

To mirror the question, Raz and garbon: what if god appears perfectly monstrous to test us? If you follow the apparent dictates of the monstrous god and act monstrously, you are eternally damned. If you try to cleave to being good and decent in the face of a monstrous god and a cruel universe, you pass the test and are rewarded with heavenly joy etc etc?

What do you do then?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2012, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2012, 09:42:01 AMBut then that defeats what was being discussed - which was what should you do if you believe (truly believe) in the existence of a monstrous god.

You seek psychological help before you hurt yourself or other people.

Okay. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2012, 11:24:32 AM
Quote from: frunk on September 26, 2012, 09:59:29 AMIf we are assuming an omnipotent/omniscient god in the Christian mode, my moral code is no more made up than anything else the god created.  The options to my mind are to assume the god isn't as monstrous as he's made out to be (trickster god) or to fight against his monstrousness however I can.  I don't see why what a god says when it conflicts with everything I believe should be followed.  There are too many presumptions that could be wrong.

Exactly.

To mirror the question, Raz and garbon: what if god appears perfectly monstrous to test us? If you follow the apparent dictates of the monstrous god and act monstrously, you are eternally damned. If you try to cleave to being good and decent in the face of a monstrous god and a cruel universe, you pass the test and are rewarded with heavenly joy etc etc?

What do you do then?

I'm not sure why said person would assume the God was a trickster god.

As in I think frunk makes just as many presumptions in choosing to follow what he feels is good.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2012, 11:24:32 AM
Exactly.

What do you do then?

A god who would do that is still monstrous.

frunk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2012, 11:34:13 AM

A god who would do that is still monstrous.

Any more monstrous than a supposedly good god who creates a world where suffering exists?

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on September 26, 2012, 11:38:10 AM
Any more monstrous than a supposedly good god who creates a world where suffering exists?

Suffering is a choice of free will.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."