Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 14, 2012, 10:32:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2012, 10:24:45 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 14, 2012, 10:19:13 AM
I don't understand whats your problem with it?

He thinks it makes bad policy for embassies(govts) to make statements when they think said statements could protect their citizens.

I think it's hilarious that Martinus has managed to get most of the board to swallow his trollhook for the last 18 or so pages in this thread.

He may have a shitty grasp on the law, but he certainly knows how to drag along a witness during cross examination.

Therefore, given he describes himself as very successful, lawyering is just a matter of advanced trolling ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 14, 2012, 10:32:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2012, 10:24:45 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 14, 2012, 10:19:13 AM
I don't understand whats your problem with it?

He thinks it makes bad policy for embassies(govts) to make statements when they think said statements could protect their citizens.

I think it's hilarious that Martinus has managed to get most of the board to swallow his trollhook for the last 18 or so pages in this thread.

He may have a shitty grasp on the law, but he certainly knows how to drag along a witness during cross examination.

Meh just boredom. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 14, 2012, 10:36:10 AM
Therefore, given he describes himself as very successful, lawyering is just a matter of advanced trolling ? :unsure:

You disagree with that premise?  I don't.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on September 14, 2012, 10:16:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 10:06:06 AM
I do think he's a much better communicator with a teleprompter than without it... 

I disagree.  I think he is a better communicator when he has a written speech than when he is speaking off the cuff, but I also think that this is and was true of every president and 99.54% of the non-presidents.  Whether Obama was speaking using a teleprompter versus paper notes doesn't seem to impact his communications much.

But it seems that when using paper notes he's more likely to interject some off the cuff remarks, which is where he has had problems.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

More then the ordinary person?  More the most presidents?  More then his predecessor?  Or perhaps you frequent sites that focus on these and sometimes invent them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2012, 11:13:59 AM
More then the ordinary person?  More the most presidents?  More then his predecessor?  Or perhaps you frequent sites that focus on these and sometimes invent them.

More than he does when he's using the teleprompter.

Man, you guys cannot stand even the slightest criticism of your guy.  I've never seen anything like this before.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 11:16:28 AMMore than he does when he's using the teleprompter.

Man, you guys cannot stand even the slightest criticism of your guy.  I've never seen anything like this before.

:lol:

Jacob

Speaking of reasonable criticism of Obama, here's more - Kansas want to take him off the ballot because they're not sure he's American - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/09/14/obama-birth-certificate-kansas-ballot/70000327/1?csp=34news#.UFNZAGlYsjc

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2012, 11:20:16 AM
Speaking of reasonable criticism of Obama, here's more - Kansas want to take him off the ballot because they're not sure he's American - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/09/14/obama-birth-certificate-kansas-ballot/70000327/1?csp=34news#.UFNZAGlYsjc

That's dumb, and crap like this unwittingly plays in Obama's favor.

CountDeMoney

Mittens condemns Cairo embassy statement and agrees with it at the same time on Good Morning America.

QuoteThe Cairo embassy press release said the United States "condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. " It added: "We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

Romney has said it amounted to sympathizing with America's attackers. He blamed President Obama, although he conceded that Obama had also distanced himself from the statement.

But, asked about the film itself, Romney said he hadn't seen and had no intention of doing so. Still, he seemed to agree with much of the substance of the embassy's statement.

"And the idea of using something that some people consider sacred and then parading that out a negative way is simply inappropriate and wrong," he said. "And I wish people wouldn't do it.  Of course, we have a First Amendment.  And under the First Amendment, people are allowed to do what they feel they want to do.  They have the right to do that, but it's not right to do things that are of the nature of what was done by, apparently this film."

No wonder his was picked to save the Olympics;  he's more flexible than Mary Lou Retton.

Jacob

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 11:16:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2012, 11:13:59 AM

More than he does when he's using the teleprompter.

Okay, then riddle me this.  What is the obsession with Teleprompters?  I mean this has been bouncing around the Conservative echo chamber for years now.  It's really fucking bizarre.  Hell, Congressmen have gotten in on it, trying to remove funding for Obama teleprompters from the budget.  Did anyone try obsess over Bush's teleprompter, over Clinton's over Reagan's? While we are at it, why it that conservatives seem to think that liberals secretly worship Obama as a messiah figure in a very literal sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2012, 11:29:48 AM
Okay, then riddle me this.  What is the obsession with Teleprompters? 

You're the one who brought it up.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2012, 11:29:48 AM
Okay, then riddle me this.  What is the obsession with Teleprompters?  I mean this has been bouncing around the Conservative echo chamber for years now.  It's really fucking bizarre.  Hell, Congressmen have gotten in on it, trying to remove funding for Obama teleprompters from the budget.  Did anyone try obsess over Bush's teleprompter, over Clinton's over Reagan's? While we are at it, why it that conservatives seem to think that liberals secretly worship Obama as a messiah figure in a very literal sense.

Reagan invented the teleprompter;  therefore, the Unread First Reader is always exempt.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 10:50:33 AM
But it seems that when using paper notes he's more likely to interject some off the cuff remarks, which is where he has had problems.

I don't see it, but then I am not a tribal, so maybe I can't see it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!