Once-jailed banker gets $104 million whistleblower payout

Started by jimmy olsen, September 11, 2012, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 12, 2012, 03:59:41 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 12, 2012, 03:52:05 AM
Yes, we all know individuals crack and shoot up their source of angst:

:contract:

Not applicable, anymore than a school shooting is an indicator teachers who fail students are prone to vengeance killings or being added to 'hit lists'.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2012, 04:04:43 AM
This is way different. You're talking about mental instability, I'm talking about rationally planned out vengeance killing for whistle blowing. Yes, we all know individuals crack and shoot up their source of angst: schools, work places, the home of an ex-spouse.

But putting people on a hit list because they blew a whistle*? No, that is far fetched.

* - You just put your lips together and you come real close.

Swiss bankers do a lot of work for Russian and Islamic businessmen, the two types that are rather big on revenge.

That's a very silly argument. It is weak and lacks any kind of substantial foundation. You are saying if a then b, when a is unsubstantiated. Your fear of Russians and your hatred of Muslims is leaking into your arguments and breaking it apart before our very eyes. It is the same type of knee jerk reaction that plagues discussion about homosexuals -- not to play the gay card, but being that you're so exposed to that type of weak logic I would imagine you'd be better than that.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Who is the source of hypothetical assassin hirer's angst? The whistle-blower of course.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The whistleblower law specifies the cut of the damages the whistleblower gets.  It's not discretionary AFAIK.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on September 12, 2012, 04:13:26 AM
This is way different. You're talking about mental instability, I'm talking about rationally planned out vengeance killing for whistle blowing. Yes, we all know individuals crack and shoot up their source of angst: schools, work places, the home of an ex-spouse.

But putting people on a hit list because they blew a whistle*? No, that is far fetched.

Swiss bankers do a lot of work for Russian and Islamic businessmen, the two types that are rather big on revenge.

That's a very silly argument. It is weak and lacks any kind of substantial foundation. You are saying if a then b, when a is unsubstantiated. Your fear of Russians and your hatred of Muslims is leaking into your arguments and breaking it apart before our very eyes. It is the same type of knee jerk reaction that plagues discussion about homosexuals -- not to play the gay card, but being that you're so exposed to that type of weak logic I would imagine you'd be better than that.

No, my fear of Russians taking revenge on people is completely unsubstantiated.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2012, 03:09:18 AM
Seriously, you are probably the most imbecilic person I know - so full of idiocy, I sometimes want to strangle you with my bare hands or smash your face in with a sledge hammer.

Remember, you're going to want to choke up on the grip, knees slightly bent, and be sure to turn your hips into the swing.

Caliga

Good that you are not in charge, you fucking idiot. Such "crimes" are notoriously difficult to discover without insider knowledge and often are in the grey area of legality, so severe penalties would be neither fair nor they would act as a deterrent. Seriously, you are probably the most imbecilic person I know - so full of idiocy, I sometimes want to strangle you with my bare hands or smash your face in with a sledge hammer.
:lmfao:  Hilarious mental image.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Marti is angry this morning, it's like he forgotten all the anti-gay people he has a met & concentrated his anger on poor Tim.

I have notice, the more & more time the languish expat spend in Asia, the more dense they become.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 06:55:53 AM
Seriously, you are probably the most imbecilic person I know - so full of idiocy, I sometimes want to strangle you with my bare hands or smash your face in with a sledge hammer.

Remember, you're going to want to choke up on the grip, knees slightly bent, and be sure to turn your hips into the swing.

Is this one of those fetish swing things with a mounted dildo?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2012, 07:39:55 AM

Is this one of those fetish swing things with a mounted dildo?

No, it was more like rotational swinging for baseball, but I guess it could apply to dildos.

DGuller

Normally I'm not a fan of posters discussing the best methods to employ while torturing and killing other posters, but normally even Tim doesn't post things that silly.  :hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2012, 02:45:51 AM
Well if I was in charge there would much more severe penalties for these sorts of crimes, so a plea deal with a reduced sentence would be quite an inducement for this fellow.

Good that you are not in charge, you fucking idiot. Such "crimes" are notoriously difficult to discover without insider knowledge and often are in the grey area of legality, so severe penalties would be neither fair nor they would act as a deterrent. Seriously, you are probably the most imbecilic person I know - so full of idiocy, I sometimes want to strangle you with my bare hands or smash your face in with a sledge hammer.
They caught this guy without super secret insider knowledge didn't they? If his choice was 2 years in jail and tell, or keep quiet and spend 20, he'd tell.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2012, 06:52:07 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 12, 2012, 04:13:26 AM

No, my fear of Russians taking revenge on people is completely unsubstantiated.

No doubt the Russian mob is not a bunch you'd want to cross, but why exactly would they take revenge against an American ratting out his fellow Americans for tax fraud?

Maximus

Not at all. You want your hands close together at the end of the handle, legs braced, swing with the shoulders and pull back with the legs just before impact. It's not a fucking stick.