17-year-old girl invents heart exam for cellphones

Started by jimmy olsen, September 11, 2012, 01:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/17-year-old-girl-invents-heart-exam-cellphones-990117

Fucking brilliant!

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/17-year-old-girl-invents-heart-exam-cellphones-990117
Quote17-year-old girl invents heart exam for cellphones

The estimated 2 billion people in the world who lack access to basic health care may be heartened to hear about a 17-year-old girl from New Jersey who invented an inexpensive and portable electrocardiogram that transmits data via cellular networks.

An electrocardiogram, also called EKG or ECG, is a routine test run at hospitals around the world that records the heart's electrical activity. Electrical signals set the rhythm for the heartbeat. Doctors look at the readout of an EKG to determine heart health.

The problem is that the medical equipment typically used to perform the test is expensive and bulky, making it impractical for people who lack money and access to hospitals.

Even the growing field of telemedicine, which allows doctors to examine patients remotely via computers and the Internet, is impractical for many people in developing countries who need care the most, according to Catherine Wong, who invented the portable EKG test.

"What these patients do have, perhaps surprisingly, is cellphones," she said in the video above describing her project that took top honors in Joe's Big Idea, a video contest run by NPR science correspondent Joe Palca. "In fact, in India today, more people have access to cellphones than have access to toilets."

Wong worked with her high school physics teacher to understand the electrical engineering and Java programming components needed to build a prototype EKG that connects to a cellphone via Bluetooth. The heartbeat rhythm is displayed on the cellphone screen thanks to a Java applet.

The data is sent to an offsite doctor for analysis.

"The implications for this are huge," Wong said. "The prototype successfully showed that it is possible to make a fully cellphone compatible EKG prototype. For patients in third world countries, the device puts the possibility of examination in the h ands of almost any cellphone owner."

Eric Topol, a cardiologist at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, Calif., who reviewed the video for NPR, agreed. "Just the kind of technology that 'flattens the Earth' for better medical care," he told Palca.

Wong's device was also a finalist in the second annual Google Science Fair. Top honors there went to Brittany Wenger for an artificial brain that detects breast cancer. If these innovations from tomorrow's leaders continue apace, our future health care looks to be get in good hands.

Here's Catherine explaining her project in a video from Cogito.org, an online community for exceptional students, founded by the John Templeton Foundation, with Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth and eight other partners.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2012, 01:08:18 AM
"In fact, in India today, more people have access to cellphones than have access to toilets."

Gotta have your priorities straight.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2012, 01:17:18 AM
"In fact, in India today, more people have access to cellphones than have access to toilets."

People who've been to India tell me people will just pop a squat right on the side of street.

My friend Mat said that he could smell shit as soon as he got off the plane.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2012, 01:22:43 AM

People who've been to India tell me people will just pop a squat right on the side of street.

Mat said that he could smell shit as soon as he got off the plane.

Who?  :hmm:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Convincing investors to throw up a bunch of cell towers is cheaper and easier than building a modern subcontinent-wide sewage system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2012, 01:22:43 AM

My friend Mat said that he could smell shit as soon as he got off the plane.

:rolleyes:

Way to go dube, are you trying to start attacks on Western embassies in South Asia:

Breaking News, American on internet says "India smells like shit"    <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 11, 2012, 03:34:37 AM
Friend of mine, you don't know him.

Coincidentally, I have a friend named Matt (note the two t's) who has also been to India with his Indian/Brit wife.  Said pretty much the same thing.  The buildings that do have "toilets" mostly just have holes in the ground.

Worst part of his experience was the train.  The toilet on the train was just a hole as well, and people tend to just shit right there on the tracks before a train arrives or after it leaves.  They made the mistake of opening the windows of their "first class" cabin on one stop because it was getting hot inside.  The stench was apparently overwhelming.

He & his wife told me all of this with an astonished tone of voice, as if they were surprised that India was generally a bit on the dirty side.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.