News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flamewar time: Pedophiles: born that way?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 10, 2012, 11:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2012, 07:29:46 AM
@Marty- I'm sure human flesh tastes much better than cucumbers.  :yucky:

No way human flesh has the clean cool taste of a fresh cucumber :mmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2012, 02:48:38 AM
Incidentally, I think the whole nature vs. nurture debate is useless when it comes to determining people's rights and obligations.

Indeed.  Only only matters in regards to how to combat dangerous deviant behaviors like child sexual abuse.  For as you say:

QuoteThere is also an opposite theory that it may be a "gateway drug" to trying it with an actual child.

Because if it is nature then there is no need to worry about "gateway drugs" but rather they serve as just a 'flag' for people who are naturally dangerous.   If it is nurture then it might require different sorts of societal interventions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

The idea that a complex behavior is hard wired in the brain simplifies human bio-cultural actions.  To say there is no (or very little) social aspect or biological aspect makes humans either machines that are not at fault (or should be euthanized) or culture machines divorced from the body.

Either way is stupid.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2012, 08:41:55 AM
The idea that a complex behavior is hard wired in the brain simplifies human bio-cultural actions.  To say there is no (or very little) social aspect or biological aspect makes humans either machines that are not at fault (or should be euthanized) or culture machines divorced from the body.

Either way is stupid.

It must be black or white! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

CountDeMoney

Who says it's complex behavior?  Sexual wiring is as basic wiring as it gets.  It's a base physiological drive.  Read your Maslow from high school.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2012, 02:45:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2012, 02:33:35 AM
I've brought it up a couple of times.  Throws Marty in a rage, but that wasn't the point.  I think it's a serious ethical issue.  I see a serious disconnect in the way mental health regards both.  If it's barbaric and pointless to treat one, why is it okay to treat another?  If they are both biological then treatment or non treatment should be regarded the same.

One triggers behaviour harmful to others and is impossible to satisfy without hurting others. The other isn't.

You could just as well claim that a taste for human flesh is no different than a taste for cucumbers.

You are hiding behind cultural mores and law.  If we lived in a society like ancient Greece where they was considered normal then what?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2012, 08:57:47 AM

Who says it's complex behavior?  Sexual wiring is as basic wiring as it gets.  It's a base physiological drive.  Read your Maslow from high school.

Alls I know is that, many years ago, I was called in to take an additional statement from a client of my firm who we were representing on an indian residential school claim.  This client was now in his 70s, and too ill to be able to travel into town to come to our office, so I went out to his reserve.  He then, under the cover of solicitor-client privilege (so I'm not telling you any identifying information) proceeded to tell me how he had been sexually molested as a young boy by other students at the school.  He then went on to tell me his great shame - that he in turn molested the younger boys when he grew older.

So yeah - sexual wiring is pretty fucking complex.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2012, 08:57:47 AM

Maslow was a kook.

Procreation might be basic, sex is complex.  Hell, even in Maslow it is middle of the pyramid (not physiological, it is belonging), not basic at all.

Self actualized my ass.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:36:56 PM

Nonsense.  Why one would whip asian chicks with Hot Wheels tracks is pretty fucking simple to figure out: it's fun.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2012, 02:36:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2012, 12:36:56 PM

Nonsense.  Why one would whip asian chicks with Hot Wheels tracks is pretty fucking simple to figure out: it's fun.

This I will never understand.  How can it be fun to administer pain to another person, whether or not they are willing?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall