In defense of McClellan at Antietam: A contrarian view

Started by CountDeMoney, September 09, 2012, 03:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2012, 12:34:02 PM
We need this person on Languish:

http://www.dailystatesman.com/blogs/1781/entry/49364/

QuoteThe Bloody Lane-Battle of Antietam

Serene. Morning's twilight gently transformed the blackness into a new day. A choir of birds slowly broke the silence, and the chill of night ebbed away. I stood on a low road among perfectly manicured grounds and pristine statues. Everything was exactly as it should be: peaceful.

As I walked the lane I heard the gun fire, the barking of orders, the cannon, and the screams. I began to recall the names of some of those who perished in and around that road. I had studied these men and read some of their diaries and letters. I had seen some of their faces in photographs. In the cool morning breeze, standing where they took their last breath, tears welled up in my eyes then ran down my cheeks for men I had never met.

As I lingered, a couple, in their early forties I guessed, parked their car and began walking toward The Bloody Lane. I immediately admired them for having the zeal and devotion to the history of our nation to be at the battlefield, at sunrise, where every imaginable horror of war became reality. Hand in hand they approached the hallowed ground where thousands had sacrificed. At the top of the stairs leading down to the lane they stopped.

"It's just a big ditch" the woman proclaimed. Her husband matched her reverence, "Yeah. This was a waste of time."

First time I visited Antietam I was a little disappointed they didn't still grow corn in The Cornfield.  Otherwise, I was overwhelmed by the place and did not want to leave.  It was the first Civil War battlefield I visited and still probably my favorite.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Anytime anyone says anything in an attempt to rehabilitate or validate Macs competence as a commander, all I have to say is:

The Seven Days.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on September 10, 2012, 04:00:37 PM
Anytime anyone says anything in an attempt to rehabilitate or validate Macs competence as a commander, all I have to say is:

The Seven Days.
Well, you know...he could have improved with experience and all. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

A bloody nose for Lee and a tactical retreat safely carried out despite an absolutely relentless enemy offensive?

Of course, there is the matter of any retreat at all being necessary, but Mac did a good job pulling out. How many more victories like the Seven Days could the Army of Northern Virginia fight before its own elan destroyed it?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Viking

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 10, 2012, 07:38:08 PM
A bloody nose for Lee and a tactical retreat safely carried out despite an absolutely relentless enemy offensive?

Of course, there is the matter of any retreat at all being necessary, but Mac did a good job pulling out. How many more victories like the Seven Days could the Army of Northern Virginia fight before its own elan destroyed it?

hmm counting

Wilderness - 1
Spotsylvania - 2
Yellow Tavern - 3
Meadow Bridge - 4
North Anna - 5
Totopotomoy - 6
Cold Harbor - 7

yeah, 7 victories and draws.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

The yankee nation wasnt prepared for that sort of bloodletting when the seven days was fought, though. Had that sort of campaign been carried out it might have just lead to the South's independence being recognized in the face of massive riots and a paralyzed society.  It was better for total war to creep up on the northern public gradually.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 10, 2012, 07:46:15 PM
The yankee nation wasnt prepared for that sort of bloodletting when the seven days was fought, though. Had that sort of campaign been carried out it might have just lead to the South's independence being recognized in the face of massive riots and a paralyzed society.  It was better for total war to creep up on the northern public gradually.

Massive riots?  You clearly know nothing about Yankees.  They are not hot blooded like Southerners.  Even the Boston Tea Party was quiet and orderly.

But I don't think McClellan was prepared for it.  He wanted a limited war that would somehow preserve the status quo and that just wasn't in the cards.

Hey Lettow I have a Confederate question for you.  There is a Confederate officer, Lt. Col Alfred Robb of the 49th Tennessee of Clarkesville Tennessee, who I guess is somewhat of a hero since the South started naming things after him after he died after Fort Donelson.  Does a picture of this dude exist?  Since you are from Tennessee I thought maybe you might know something about him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 10, 2012, 07:46:15 PM

Even supposing the riots had been worse than they were historically, Lincoln wasn't about to give up just like that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2012, 08:28:26 PM
But I don't think McClellan was prepared for it.  He wanted a limited war that would somehow preserve the status quo and that just wasn't in the cards.

McClellan was such a fanboi of Southern aristocracy, the Wade committee wasn't quite sure whether he wasn't really a traitor.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 10, 2012, 12:13:36 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 09, 2012, 11:49:38 PM
Sharpsburg.

The Yankees won.

CDM and Valmy don't want to talk about it.

:lol:

FOrtunately the casualties were just Teixeira and Markakis
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 10, 2012, 08:35:51 PM
Even supposing the riots had been worse than they were historically, Lincoln wasn't about to give up just like that.

Who besides Irish immigrants rioted?  Besides maybe the North takes Richmond the civilians are not going to riot over that even if it costs McLellan half his army.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2012, 01:52:41 AM
Indeed. Sherman's campaign of rampant destruction was a spanking the South had coming.

It needed a harder spanking.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2012, 09:07:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2012, 01:52:41 AM
Indeed. Sherman's campaign of rampant destruction was a spanking the South had coming.

It needed a harder spanking.

No shit. Sherman should've just gone around in ever-widening circles.