In defense of McClellan at Antietam: A contrarian view

Started by CountDeMoney, September 09, 2012, 03:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 10, 2012, 01:07:59 AM
I, of late, have looked at it as a war that almost had to go as long as it did for the proper outcome.  What would have happened if Little Mac had destroyed Lee's army and effectively ended the war?  This is prior to the Emancipation Proclamation and the idea of a war to end slavery in addition to restoring the Union.  Lincoln was always a lukewarm opponent of slavery and imposing harsh penalties on the states that seceded.  If you take away the Emancipation Proclamation and the North's willingness to punish the South, what are the odds that the slavery question would have been truly decided as it ended up in 1865?  What are the chances of any type of Reconstruction effort by the North or attempts at true reform?  Things still went to shit eventually in the South despite the additional years of war and imposition of the Radical Republicans' plans.  I can only imagine an even earlier start of such backward policies and maintaining of the antebellum status quo with an early victory.  As terrible as the war was, and as long as it lasted, I feel it was a necessary evil.

The big what if there was if burnside had attacked competently and enthusiastically and successfully when he should have and taken "his" bridge and managed to cut Lee off from Botelers ford when the fighting was at the cornfield or the sunken road then, yes, Lees army would have been surrounded Appomattox style. The emancipation declaration would have happened regardless, it had been drafted and ready for months. The least punishment would have been emancipation.

Anything short of Burnside manifesting the unborn spirit of Patton, however, the best possible result for the Union is Gettysburg like. I wouldn't say that this would shorten the war by 9 month since Hood still hadn't suicided the army in the west and vicksburg still hadn't fallen.

The emancipation declaration still happens and the south survives since Grant still hasn't been put in charge. Maybe Lee gets captured? In that case I shudder to think what would happen with Stonewall Jackson in charge of the Army with no reason for a night ride at chancellorsville.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

It's flattering to me that so many people still study the war, regardless of their opinions of what should have happened or who was right or wrong. I am glad the memory persists and has such an impression on disparate parts of the world- I was able to convince a pretty Japanese girl to study about Lee and Stonewall, and I was delighted by her earnestness.

It just struck me what a lucky people we are, to have an icelandic person carefully studying the chronicle of our late unpleasantness. The South may not be beautiful, but it has precious memories and an enduring legacy.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 10, 2012, 03:46:53 AM
The South may not be beautiful, but it has precious memories and an enduring legacy.
The countryside is beautiful, it's memories not so much.

The memories you speak of are of millions in bondage, more than a quarter million southern men cut down before their time and half the South in ashes and ruins.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

It's flattering to me that so many people still study the war, regardless of their opinions of what should have happened or who was right or wrong. I am glad the memory persists and has such an impression on disparate parts of the world- I was able to convince a pretty Japanese girl to study about Lee and Stonewall, and I was delighted by her earnestness.

It just struck me what a lucky people we are, to have an icelandic person carefully studying the chronicle of our late unpleasantness. The South may not be beautiful, but it has precious memories and an enduring legacy.

You do realize that in my view the Confederates and the Confederacy was pure evil on par with Nazi Germany and Kmer Rouge Cambodia? My study of the issue is (when not wargame related) is focused on understanding and identifying the causes and nature of evil and when it comes to the details it is mainly a result of my annoyance and frustration that it took so long and killed so many good union men in the process.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2012, 12:31:08 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 10, 2012, 12:12:37 AM
I like Mac, too.  As long as he was in charge, we were bound to win.
And who's we? :yeahright:

It's like the "we" you use to describe the Patriots.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2012, 03:51:04 AM
The South may not be beautiful, but it has precious memories and an enduring legacy.

But "it's" (sic) grammar lives on in you.  You're worse than Lettow.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

The memories you speak of are of millions in bondage, more than a quarter million southern men cut down before their time and half the South in ashes and ruins.

Well, half of that *is* beautiful ... though I suspect Lettow would dispute which half.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2012, 09:54:04 AM

Well, half of that *is* beautiful ... though I suspect Lettow would dispute which half.  ;)

¨

:wub:

CountDeMoney

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

No matter how one twists things, it is still a tragedy that the V Corps never was sent in at Antietam.  Had Porter gone in after the Bloody Lane was cleared things would have been different.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

We need this person on Languish:

http://www.dailystatesman.com/blogs/1781/entry/49364/

QuoteThe Bloody Lane-Battle of Antietam

Serene. Morning's twilight gently transformed the blackness into a new day. A choir of birds slowly broke the silence, and the chill of night ebbed away. I stood on a low road among perfectly manicured grounds and pristine statues. Everything was exactly as it should be: peaceful.

As I walked the lane I heard the gun fire, the barking of orders, the cannon, and the screams. I began to recall the names of some of those who perished in and around that road. I had studied these men and read some of their diaries and letters. I had seen some of their faces in photographs. In the cool morning breeze, standing where they took their last breath, tears welled up in my eyes then ran down my cheeks for men I had never met.

As I lingered, a couple, in their early forties I guessed, parked their car and began walking toward The Bloody Lane. I immediately admired them for having the zeal and devotion to the history of our nation to be at the battlefield, at sunrise, where every imaginable horror of war became reality. Hand in hand they approached the hallowed ground where thousands had sacrificed. At the top of the stairs leading down to the lane they stopped.

"It's just a big ditch" the woman proclaimed. Her husband matched her reverence, "Yeah. This was a waste of time."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

My beef with McClellan was never with what he did or didn't do before the battle, but with what he failed to do after the battle.  No way he should have let Lee stage an orderly withdrawal.

I also disapprove with how he attacked the rebel lines piecemeal rather than simultaneously, but a sloppy win is still a win.  He just should have followed up on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Drakken