Discipline in the Military, What is it like these days ?

Started by mongers, September 04, 2012, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2012, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 05, 2012, 10:41:23 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 05, 2012, 08:56:16 AM
IMHO, modern day military is not as diciplined as before, it has gone soft. It now has all these politically correct bullshit rules, no one can be offended in any way. These kids confuse priviledges with rights, and have terrible work ethics and they think they are entitled things without earning them. Yes, I am an old tired bitter old schooler and will retire when I can.
Millennials are to blame for most of modern society's ills. Them and the Baby Boomers.

Yes, it's only Generation X that can save us.   :huh:

According to wiki - I'm a Millennial. :(

:nelson:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 11:52:10 AM
IMHO, modern day military is not as diciplined as before, it has gone soft. It now has all these politically correct bullshit rules, no one can be offended in any way. These kids confuse priviledges with rights, and have terrible work ethics and they think they are entitled things without earning them. Yes, I am an old tired bitter old schooler and will retire when I can.
Millennials are to blame for most of modern society's ills. Them and the Baby Boomers.

Of course when you end up with statements like this:

QuoteGenerally speaking, older members of Gen Y are the children of the Baby Boomers. Younger members of Generation Y are the children of Gen Xers. Older Gen Yers may have parents that are members of the Silent Generation.

Classification is too silly. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2012, 12:00:32 PM

QuoteGenerally speaking, older members of Gen Y are the children of the Baby Boomers. Younger members of Generation Y are the children of Gen Xers. Older Gen Yers may have parents that are members of the Silent Generation.

Just wait until Gen Aleph is born.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 05, 2012, 12:57:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2012, 12:00:32 PM

Just wait until Gen Aleph is born.

Looks like they already exist:

http://www.holyblossom.org/community-groups/young-adults/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Millennial in the military and (civilian world) are pieces of shit. But that means easy promotion for people who are not pieces of shit. Unless your supervisors are pieces of shit that want their cock sucked.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Phillip V on September 05, 2012, 01:36:14 PM
Unless your supervisors are pieces of shit that want their cock sucked.
Grallon would prosper.  Or Marty.
PDH!

Tonitrus

I tend to agree.  Though my world is rather different than most.  Intelligence cannot really be compared to the rest of the military.  Most of us, I think, are smart enough to know that even without strict discipline, things should be done in a reasonable way.  But on the flip side, the bad apples that exist can be a nightmare to deal with.  But I've been rather lucky myself, in that pretty much all of the subordinates I've had have had a great work ethic.

But then, we are also the Air Force.  As an NCO, I cannot even make young Airmen do pushups, as the Army still can.  We basically go through several layers of paper-reprimands before finally working on just kicking your sorry butt out.  Hell, drunk driving is still often not an automatic ticket out.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2012, 04:59:14 PM

I tend to agree.  Though my world is rather different than most.  Intelligence cannot really be compared to the rest of the military.  Most of us, I think, are smart enough to know that even without strict discipline, things should be done in a reasonable way.  But on the flip side, the bad apples that exist can be a nightmare to deal with.  But I've been rather lucky myself, in that pretty much all of the subordinates I've had have had a great work ethic.

But then, we are also the Air Force.  As an NCO, I cannot even make young Airmen do pushups, as the Army still can.  We basically go through several layers of paper-reprimands before finally working on just kicking your sorry butt out.  Hell, drunk driving is still often not an automatic ticket out.

Ton. interesting, thanks for that.  :cheers:

I wonder if Seigy is old school ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Tonitrus

From what I gather, the more front-line professions like Siege's are more old school.  But then, there is probably still a lot of accepted "off the books" discipline there as well.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2012, 05:14:39 PM
From what I gather, the more front-line professions like Siege's are more old school.  But then, there is probably still a lot of accepted "off the books" discipline there as well.

Yeah, could well be.

It's just interesting compare modern perceptions of the military with most of the ex-military I know who due to when they signed up, had it old school. 

Though another of my friends, was part of the first intake after they ended conscription, something like 1962, and he said for the first couple of weeks the NCOs and establishment were as nice as pie towards them, just up to until the point when they'd ensured they had a large enough intake to meet requirements, which is when they reverted to time honoured British Army practices.    :bowler:

Phillip V

Meh, I always hear a NCOs and Officers bitch about how "new" Soldiers suck, but they never then additionally talk about real solutions and doing something about it. Maybe they should look in the mirror.

There are always some good young Soldiers that you can take under your wing, mentor, promote, and start a real good culture change of resilience, competence, and duty. It spreads. But these good kids will quickly become corrupted, impregnated, or disillusioned within a year or two if the Sergeants and Lieutenants above them are too busy drinking, trying to get laid, or creating busywork/paperwork.

mongers

Quote from: Phillip V on September 05, 2012, 05:32:02 PM
Meh, I always hear a NCOs and Officers bitch about how "new" Soldiers suck, but they never then additionally talk about real solutions and doing something about it. Maybe they should look in the mirror.

There are always some good young Soldiers that you can take under your wing, mentor, promote, and start a real good culture change of resilience, competence, and duty. It spreads. But these good kids will quickly become corrupted, impregnated, or disillusioned within a year or two if the Sergeants and Lieutenants above them are too busy drinking, trying to get laid, or creating busywork/paperwork.

Thanks for that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2012, 05:14:39 PM

My buddy spent a few years in Korea back in the 90's, and apparently the closer to a combat tempo you are, the more old-school style discipline there is.  He said there was a substantial difference between how to deal with things a few kilometers from the DMZ as opposed to, say, Fort Stewart.  I suppose there's no room for play the closer you are to a combat zone.