The DNC KenyanCommieMooselimbDidn'tBuildIt MegaThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 03, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 09:43:22 AM
Half of America pays zero taxes or otherwise contributes nothing to society?

Yikes.

Half of Americans pay no income tax but do pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.  In theory the last two don't help buy big bricks of cheese for those who are struggling. 

Maximus

How many of those do productive work that enable others to pay income tax? How many are developing their human capital enabling themselves to pay more income taxes in the future? I could go on, but the point is just because one isn't paying income tax doesn't mean they aren't contributing to the cheese.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2012, 09:10:05 AM
But, companies are simply not hiring.  They don't want to hire, they don't need to hire.  And they're not going to hire until the electoral smoke clears.
My company is hiring like crazy.  I just interviewed a guy yesterday, in fact.  He worked in Abu Dhabi for three years... man did he have some funny 'those crazy Arabs!'-type stories. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2012, 11:02:34 AM
How many of those do productive work that enable others to pay income tax? How many are developing their human capital enabling themselves to pay more income taxes in the future? I could go on, but the point is just because one isn't paying income tax doesn't mean they aren't contributing to the cheese.

Well, that's not a very good point.  Cheese costs money.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 11:11:41 AM
Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2012, 11:02:34 AM

Well, that's not a very good point.  Cheese costs money.
How are these two sentences related?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2012, 11:12:52 AM
How are these two sentences related?

The linkage is tax revenue and expenditure.  If you're developing your human capital you're not paying for any cheese.  In the future you will probably be paying for cheese.

Maximus

Then that future cheese has an expected present value.

However, how about the other example. Someone working for 9 bucks an hour in a factory while supporting 3 kids is probably not paying income tax. Assuming no hijinks, however, they are contributing to their employers earnings and the employer is paying taxes on those earnings.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2012, 11:24:12 AM

Though to what extent is it meaningful insofar as I know individuals who went to Stanford which would suggest they'd later contribute a lot but then became layabouts after school (or generously some became teachers).  Expected present value would leave you with quite a shortfall.  Unless you want to say something about how the teachers are increasing the potential of their students but doesn't that get really fuzzy?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

You can't buy present cheese with expected future cheese.

QuoteHowever, how about the other example. Someone working for 9 bucks an hour in a factory while supporting 3 kids is probably not paying income tax. Assuming no hijinks, however, they are contributing to their employers earnings and the employer is paying taxes on those earnings.

Profit is the return on the employer's capital.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on September 07, 2012, 11:27:45 AM
Though to what extent is it meaningful insofar as I know individuals who went to Stanford which would suggest they'd later contribute a lot but then became layabouts after school (or generously some became teachers).  Expected present value would leave you with quite a shortfall.  Unless you want to say something about how the teachers are increasing the potential of their students but doesn't that get really fuzzy?
In theory at least, expected present value takes into account the actual probability that the student is increasing their income.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 11:28:34 AM
Sure you can. I can go to the store with a credit card and buy cheese with expected future income.

If the employee isn't contributing to the employer's profit, why is the employer paying him?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 11:28:34 AM

QuoteHowever, how about the other example. Someone working for 9 bucks an hour in a factory while supporting 3 kids is probably not paying income tax. Assuming no hijinks, however, they are contributing to their employers earnings and the employer is paying taxes on those earnings.

Which the employer cannot obtain without that worker earning a mere 9 bucks per hour.  If labour costs rise his profit evaporates.  Also, for larger employers most often it is not the employers capital but the capital of the shareholders of the employer which often includes those very employees.  And in almost every case the capital is largely provided by lending institutions.

The world is not mittens blue blood where anyone can borrow from their parents to become an "employer"  :P

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2012, 11:34:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 07, 2012, 11:27:45 AM
In theory at least, expected present value takes into account the actual probability that the student is increasing their income.

Yeah but then if they never actually achieved anything then they didn't actually contribute to cheese.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 11:18:15 AMThe linkage is tax revenue and expenditure.  If you're developing your human capital you're not paying for any cheese.  In the future you will probably be paying for cheese.

It's a great cheese ecosystem.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 11:53:42 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 11:18:15 AMThe linkage is tax revenue and expenditure.  If you're developing your human capital you're not paying for any cheese.  In the future you will probably be paying for cheese.

It's a great cheese ecosystem.

I don't know. The hordes of individuals with newly minted law degrees don't seem to be helping the system much or not as much as one would have expected several years ago.