News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2012, 05:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

So it's just the Marine campaign from Alien vs Predator?  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2012, 05:27:01 PM
Set as a sequel to Alien 3? Interesting... :hmm:

Resurrection of a game that's been in development for over 10 years.  I'll believe it when I see it on the store shelves.

Syt

You know, I've seen the trailers, and it looks so far like any other military shooter, with an Aliens veneer. It doesn't seem to capture the suspension of the movie, or make the Aliens much more than cannon fodder, while going through nearly all the set pieces of the movie.

Fan service, yes. Good shooter? Maybe. Original? Not at all.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

It's hard to have a horror game and have a big fucking gun that you can blast anyone into tiny pieces.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2013, 04:15:55 PM
Seems the game is, uhm, not so good.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/

Damn you barely managed a days worth of enthusiasm, you fail at hyping a game.  :(

Tamas needs to give you some lessons on how to mount a mult-month long campaign across numerous threads, interjecting positive comments about the game at almost every opportunity.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

After reading the article i can only come to the conclusion it is all Jake's fault.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I had a quick look at the Steam forums which have the usual rage, but several people seem to say they were sold on the game based on this 10 minute long gameplay footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIpUEjFFHA

Only that none of it was in the game they bought. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

LaCroix

everything i've heard makes it seem like a truly awful, atrocious POS

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/avp.gif/

:lol:

Syt

Even IGN who usually spooge over every game derided the game in a video commentary as a huge amount of fan service, ripping off locales and the most famous scenes, but without the tension of the movie - you kill countless aliens, their acid blood doesn't have any major negative effect, and there's only a few tense bits. Also, you spend a lot of time killing people, not aliens, and it's another on-rails shooter with different dressing.

Which is a shame, because you could make a great tactical game here; maybe something in the style of the first Dead Rising - survive till the cavalry arrives. Give the player the run of a large facility (even Hadley's Hope if it has to be), with tight resources and tactical decisions thrown in. Which doors to seal up? Where to put defense turrets? Are there any medpacks anywhere? Where should I put my handful of sensors? Also, make trying to keep your squad mates alive a game feature - don't let them be invulnerable or killed off by a set piece cut scene, depending on what the script says. Make it hard but rewarding.

Alternatively, take the XCOM tactical combat and make a Colonial Marines vs. Aliens total conversion.

I think the worst bit here is that the game is to be considered canon for the Alien franchise.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

RPS trashes it very badly.

Which convinces me its crap.

Somewhere in the earlier criticism there was something like "you just go ahead, open doors and kill stuff" which is NOT a proper criticism if you do no trash every other FPS in existence (well, most of them). But it is pretty clear the game has tons of issues.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2013, 03:59:40 AMSomewhere in the earlier criticism there was something like "you just go ahead, open doors and kill stuff" which is NOT a proper criticism if you do no trash every other FPS in existence (well, most of them). But it is pretty clear the game has tons of issues.

RPS does that to COD/MoH regularly, referring to them as non-games. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould