Poor People: Stop moaning, drinking, smoking, socializing. WORK, DAMMIT!

Started by Syt, September 01, 2012, 02:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Neil on September 01, 2012, 08:23:56 AM
Poor people ARE jealous of the wealthy though, but it's not like they can work themselves to wealth.
How bout just work towards basic comfort? Don't need to be wealthy for that.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2012, 04:00:20 AM
She's right btw; starting out poor is not great but getting chippy and defeatist about it compounds the problem.........and I speak as a member of the lazy community  :P

I think there is a lot of this among young people today - though I can't blame them given that many of us aren't really facing particularly good opportunities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on September 01, 2012, 08:29:24 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 01, 2012, 08:23:56 AM
Poor people ARE jealous of the wealthy though, but it's not like they can work themselves to wealth.
How bout just work towards basic comfort? Don't need to be wealthy for that.  :)
That's what the cigarettes and booze and drugs are for.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 01, 2012, 06:51:55 AM
She should employ more poor people. That would make less of them.

They expect to be paid too much for her liking.

Oddly, the poor people I know would love to work more and socialize less. Unfortunately, jobs aren't exactly forthcoming, and those that are don't pay enough to meet the basic needs. Hell, I'll likely be looking for a second job again during the holiday season to help get us through, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find anything this year. There just isn't a lot available.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Whiny poors are annoying. That's why I live in a middle class neighborhood.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2012, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 01, 2012, 02:51:18 AM
Being poor is hard work.

Bullshit.  Being poor is no work at all.

:huh:

As one of the resident poors on this forum, I beg to differ. Given that I usually work two jobs and make most of my own cleaning supplies, dinners, etc. without the "labor saving devices" common in more wealthy households (i.e. dishwasher, dinners out, expensive quick-make foods, etc.), I'm going to have to disagree completely. Maybe for you it was no work at all, but for me, it's a tremendous amount of work trying to make ends meet on a minimal budget.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2012, 12:02:20 PM
Nobody told you to be poor, Meri.  Stop making excuses.

I can't help it. I was drawn this way. :(

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on September 01, 2012, 11:57:32 AM
Being poor is hard work.

As one of the resident poors on this forum, I beg to differ. Given that I usually work two jobs and make most of my own cleaning supplies, dinners, etc. without the "labor saving devices" common in more wealthy households (i.e. dishwasher, dinners out, expensive quick-make foods, etc.), I'm going to have to disagree completely. Maybe for you it was no work at all, but for me, it's a tremendous amount of work trying to make ends meet on a minimal budget.

Didn't you have the good sense to be born wealthy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 01, 2012, 11:57:32 AM
Being poor is hard work.

I guess I meant to say "being poor *requires* no work at all" :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Always pisses me off when you get the rich moaning about the poor not working hard enough.

I agree in cases where the comment about not working hard enough is unprompted, but according to the article the fat pig made the comment in response to complaints about rich people.

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2012, 04:42:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2012, 04:01:30 AM
I would have said there had already been a woman in the past who told the poor to eat cake, but this fat pig has probably eaten all the cake already.

Who was it? Leona Helmsley?

Please tell me you're joking. :(

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2012, 02:01:47 PM
I guess I meant to say "being poor *requires* no work at all" :hug:

Ah, very different thing. :hug: