And we're back!

Main Menu

Big Cheating Scandal At Harvard

Started by jimmy olsen, August 31, 2012, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2012, 08:02:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
I don't necessarily see a problem with it. 101 classes are often a joke so why not own that? :)

That's because you have such low standards.  101 class?  Multiple choice.  Sheesh.

HEY NOW
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2012, 08:02:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
I don't necessarily see a problem with it. 101 classes are often a joke so why not own that? :)

That's because you have such low standards.  101 class?  Multiple choice.  Sheesh.
Take home exams for a 101 class is just laziness on behalf of both the students and the faculty.

I don't see an issue. 101 classes are generally just bullshit pre-reqs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Why would the school care?  They paid their tuition, and that's what Harvard is all about, right?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Cheating on a take home exam is meh. Getting caught however is not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Harvard, nice. Maybe they can use their $30billion endowment to clean up the mess. All that money, and still they get govt money for projects, research, etc.

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on September 02, 2012, 03:47:14 PM
Harvard, nice. Maybe they can use their $30billion endowment to clean up the mess. All that money, and still they get govt money for projects, research, etc.
Of course they do.  The whole point of the government is to provide incentive for pure research, which has progressed to the point where it is very costly.  And to provide public services and defend to polity.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on September 02, 2012, 03:47:14 PM
Nearly everything in Harvard's endowment is earmarked for very specific uses... they can't just allocate those funds to whatever they want.  It actually takes a court order to release an endowment fund for another purpose if the university no longer wishes to use it for the donor's original intended use.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

We must protect this house!  And its rep!

QuoteHarvard Searched E-Mails for Source of Media Leaks
By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA

Harvard secretly searched the e-mail accounts of several of its staff members last fall, looking for the source of news media leaks about its recent cheating scandal, but did not tell them about the searches for several months, people briefed on the matter said on Saturday.

The searches, first reported by The Boston Globe, involved the e-mail accounts of 16 resident deans, but most of them were not told of the searches until the last few days, after The Globe inquired about them. Resident deans straddle the roles of administrators and faculty members, teaching classes as lecturers while living in Harvard's undergraduate residential houses as student advocates and advisers.

In August, an administration memo to the resident deans, on how to advise students being brought up on cheating charges before the Administrative Board, a committee of faculty members responsible for enforcing regulations, made its way to news organizations. The e-mail searches were intended to find the source of leak, but no one was disciplined in the matter.

Last August, Harvard publicly revealed that "nearly half" the students in a large class were suspected of having cheated on a take-home final exam in the spring of 2012 — either working together in violation of instructions, or outright plagiarizing material. Students identified the class as a government course with 279 people enrolled.

Harvard declined to comment on Saturday about the e-mail searches, but offered what appeared to be an oblique defense.

"If circumstances were to arise that gave reason to believe that the Administrative Board process might have been compromised, then Harvard College would take all necessary and appropriate actions under our procedures to safeguard the integrity of that process, which is designed to protect the rights of our students to privacy and due process," Michael D. Smith, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, said in a prepared statement.

The handling of the search — if not the search, itself — may have contradicted the Faculty of Arts and Sciences policy on electronic privacy, and faculty members interviewed said they expected a backlash. The privacy policy states that the administration can search faculty members' electronic records "in extraordinary circumstances such as legal proceedings and internal Harvard investigations."

But it also says that a faculty member must be notified in advance of such a search, "unless circumstances make prior notification impossible, in which case the faculty member will be notified at the earliest possible opportunity."

Over months of investigations and hearings by the Administrative Board, some of the accused students insisted that their degree of collaboration was no more than the accepted norm, and that the professor and teaching fellows were partly to blame. The episode drew particular attention because the class was popular with varsity athletes, some of whom left school rather than face the loss of a year of athletic eligibility.

On Jan. 31, Dr. Smith said that "somewhat more than half" of those cases resulted in students being required to withdraw, putting the number forced out at roughly 70.

Ed Anger

I didn't know Underarmour came in tweed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2012, 07:24:39 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 31, 2012, 09:50:35 PM
For all the busywork bullshit students have to do on a regular basis, I'm all in favor of cheating. It's like Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru. If it saves you time, it's justified.
:yes:

It's not as if people in the corporate world--where a huge percentage of these students will end up--don't lie and cheat as much as they can possibly get away with.

It was "introduction to Congress". Noone lies on the Capitol Hill.

garbon

This was such a stupid cheating scandal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2013, 09:34:42 AM
This was such a stupid cheating scandal.

Why?  Is it because cheating should be tolerated?

fhdz

For all the busywork bullshit students have to do on a regular basis, I'm all in favor of cheating. It's like Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru. If it saves you time, it's justified.

Don't work hard; work smart!
and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on March 12, 2013, 11:00:16 AM

Don't work hard; work smart!
And if you are stupid enough to get caught, then you are too stupid to be in school.  Whoever the prof was that devised a test that drove 120+ morons out of Harvard at a stroke deserves a medal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on