What age should kids be allowed to have a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Started by merithyn, August 31, 2012, 02:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At what age should children be allowed to have a bf/gf?

Whenever they decide they're ready
10 - 12
13 - 15
16 - 17
18 or older
It depends on the individual kids
It depends on what you mean by "having a boyfriend/girlfriend"
Never (Jaron option)

Legbiter

I have two boys. They'll be getting neckies and French kissing girls via party games from 12-14 if they're anything like their old man. They'll be ready and eager to fuck once 16 hits or thereabouts. My concern is that right now one third of the female population has effectively removed itself from passing any boner test via obesity. It could be even worse when they get some lead in their pencils.

It'll be like a plague hit that carried off almost half of all the womenfolk. Except that the dead linger, shuffling around and trying their best to cockblock you, out of pure spite while they wheel their still slim friends between eating establishments. 

Boyfriends and girlfriends is something you have between 15 and 18. IMO etc.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Legbiter on August 31, 2012, 05:24:20 PMMy concern is that right now one third of the female population has effectively removed itself from passing any boner test via obesity. It could be even worse when they get some lead in their pencils.

That's optimistically low.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 31, 2012, 05:27:03 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on August 31, 2012, 05:24:20 PMMy concern is that right now one third of the female population has effectively removed itself from passing any boner test via obesity. It could be even worse when they get some lead in their pencils.

That's optimistically low.

In my neck of the woods it's still only 1/3 of women who make one want to gag while momentarily gazing upon them.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

If the question is at what age can you allow them into situations when they could lose their cherry if they wanted to, I'd say 15 (it's the new 16).

If the question is at age can they start holding hands and telling other people they're a couple, who gives a shit?

Josquius

Allowed?
Whenever they like. Parents shouldn't interefere with who they hang around with (well, except in the case of dodgy thieving druggy kids).
Though anytime before 14 is just playing pretend.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

For those who voted 16 and up, why? I'm trying to understand the harm in having a romantic relationship earlier than that. (And no, I'm not baiting. I'm seriously trying to understand.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on August 31, 2012, 11:27:37 PM
For those who voted 16 and up, why? I'm trying to understand the harm in having a romantic relationship earlier than that. (And no, I'm not baiting. I'm seriously trying to understand.)

When I lost my virginity I was 16, she was 15.  But she wasn't my daughter.  THAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT NOW

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 11:34:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 31, 2012, 11:27:37 PM

When I lost my virginity I was 16, she was 15.  But she wasn't my daughter.  THAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT NOW

So the fear is that Kids under 16 may start a sexual relationship? Does this include the 10-13 year olds?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Jacob

Yeah, having thought about it I don't think I've thought about it as something for me to allow or disallow as a parent. I may change my tune once it becomes applicable, but I expect my kids will start dating about the time they feel they're ready for it and they're able to find someone to date.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 31, 2012, 11:46:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 11:45:20 PM
I dunno, lady.  I have a cat.

And you keep her locked up, unable to date.  :(

That's goddamned right, too.  My vestal virgin puddytat, pure in mind, spirit and body, free to pursue a life of religious fulfillment and the little red dot without fear of getting mounted by some ne'er-do-well tomcat that probably already owes child support somewhere as it is.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 11:50:37 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 31, 2012, 11:46:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 11:45:20 PM
I dunno, lady.  I have a cat.

And you keep her locked up, unable to date.  :(

That's goddamned right, too.  My vestal virgin puddytat, pure in mind, spirit and body, free to pursue a life of religious fulfillment and the little red dot without fear of getting mounted by some ne'er-do-well tomcat that probably already owes child support somewhere as it is.
:lol: