Which amendment to the US Constitution would you do away with?

Started by merithyn, September 01, 2012, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 02, 2012, 06:33:05 PM
I'd like to see the press neutered. I don't like reporters.

Could you tell me how that makes you feel for our audience at home, Mr. Anger?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2012, 06:29:35 PM
I keep telling you people - entrenching human rights in your constitution is a terrible idea.  You need to rely on elected politicians, not unelected judges.

One through ten need to go.

Faggy assed monarchist. :blurgh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2012, 06:47:53 PM
It's not as if the Bill of Rights actually works at protecting minority rights either.  Japanese internment, McCarthyism, slavery...

That's hardly an argument for doing away with it altogether.

Not quite sure how McCarthyism fits in there though.  Are you referring to the Hollywood blacklist?

Neil

I keep telling you people - entrenching human rights in your constitution is a terrible idea.  You need to rely on elected politicians, not unelected judges.

I'm not sure that you would want to do that in the US.

We'll see what happens in the UK over the next few decades, when you get an unrestrained Parliament elected by people who celebrate their ignorance, who have no respect for their betters and who believe that stupidity and notoriety are the only qualities worth aspiring to.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2012, 06:49:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 02, 2012, 06:33:05 PM
I'd like to see the press neutered. I don't like reporters.

Could you tell me how that makes you feel for our audience at home, Mr. Anger?

It makes me angry Dr. Phil.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2012, 06:42:24 PM

The whole point of the Bill of Rights is that we don't trust elected officials to safeguard minority rights in all cases.

I know.  And I disagree.

It's not as if the Bill of Rights actually works at protecting minority rights either.  Japanese internment, McCarthyism, slavery...

Except that unelected judges played a roll in ending both of the first two.  You can have the point for the last one, though it seems like that was always intended to be permissible when the Bill of Rights was formulated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2012, 06:50:35 PM

That's hardly an argument for doing away with it altogether.

Not quite sure how McCarthyism fits in there though.  Are you referring to the Hollywood blacklist?

It was my impression that for a long time the US constitution didn't always protect you from state laws.  And yeah, it was the Unelected Judges that came struck a blow against McCarthyism in Pennsylvania v Nelson.  Man, I've been here to long.  I've been hanging out with you damn lawyers so long I'm beginning to know individual court cases.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017