Which amendment to the US Constitution would you do away with?

Started by merithyn, September 01, 2012, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

A case could be made for getting rid of several of them but with the second there really is no competition.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 12:10:46 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 01, 2012, 09:29:33 PM

The Reserve Clause?  Why?

Anyway the third amendment.  Citizens need to do their duty to the glorious military forces of the United States.

Because you have too many crazy states that need to be put down.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2012, 05:00:45 AM
A case could be made for getting rid of several of them but with the second there really is no competition.

You think the 2nd is worse than the 18th?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 02, 2012, 06:52:18 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2012, 05:00:45 AM

You think the 2nd is worse than the 18th?  :hmm:
Its already gone. Getting rid of it would serve no purpose but tidy up paperwork by getting rid of an ammendment which another ammendment says is no longer valid anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 02, 2012, 04:23:56 AM
Quote from: Scipio on September 01, 2012, 06:03:00 PM
17th.  Without a doubt.

Agreed. Save the states from disenfranchisement.

The states are more trouble then they are worth.  We've let states tyrannize their populace for well over a century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

szmik

16th, 17th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th  :)

not that anyone cares :glare:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

The Brain

Purple Tentacle had the right idea about amendments. Humans now slaves.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Which amendments to remove:

7.  The right to a trial by jury for almost all civil cases only complicates the administration of the courts.

22.  If you can keep getting elected, you can keep being President.

Barrister

I keep telling you people - entrenching human rights in your constitution is a terrible idea.  You need to rely on elected politicians, not unelected judges.

One through ten need to go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I'd like to see the press neutered. I don't like reporters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2012, 06:29:35 PM
I keep telling you people - entrenching human rights in your constitution is a terrible idea.  You need to rely on elected politicians, not unelected judges.

The whole point of the Bill of Rights is that we don't trust elected officials to safeguard minority rights in all cases.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2012, 06:42:24 PM

The whole point of the Bill of Rights is that we don't trust elected officials to safeguard minority rights in all cases.
Is that really the whole point?  After all, it's not like the Bill of Rights was very good at safeguarding minority rights.  Blacks, Indians and Mormons all got the gears pretty good.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Nah, the judges are a failsafe. We'd still prefer the politicians don't trample over our rights, but don't trust them not to.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2012, 06:42:24 PM

I know.  And I disagree.

It's not as if the Bill of Rights actually works at protecting minority rights either.  Japanese internment, McCarthyism, slavery...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.