News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2012, 10:19:16 AM
It was $20,000, but what's $5k among friends.  The $ amount was insignificant either way.

Wrong, fiscal fetus.
Page 15.
www.gao.gov/new.items/d02360.pdf

QuoteHundreds of missing "W" keys don't add up to a lot of money.
It wasn't "hundreds".
Page 44.

QuoteThe sophomoric pranks in the Eisenhower building were pretty shameful, nonetheless.

Pranks dismissed due to lack of evidence, and staff taking souvenirs is nothing new with previous Administration transitions.
Page 79.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2012, 10:44:09 AM
It was $20,000, but what's $5k among friends.  The $ amount was insignificant either way.

Wrong, fiscal fetus.
Page 15.

That didn't take into account the work that needed to be done on the phones, but whatever.  If it means that much to you, I'll concede this one.

QuoteHundreds of missing "W" keys don't add up to a lot of money.
It wasn't "hundreds".
Page 44.

Okay, I was exaggerating a little.  So 64 keys, then :rolleyes:

QuoteThe sophomoric pranks in the Eisenhower building were pretty shameful, nonetheless.

Pranks dismissed due to lack of evidence, and staff taking souvenirs is nothing new with previous Administration transitions.
Page 79.

Uh, I think you missed the Conclusions on page 19:

QuoteDamage, theft, vandalism, and pranks occurred in the White House complex during the 2001 presidential transition.  Incidents such as the removal of keys from computer keyboards; the theft of various items; the leaving of certain voice mail messages, signs, and written messages; and the placing of glue on desk drawers clearly were intentional acts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2012, 10:06:04 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2012, 09:55:27 AM
Except I didn't mention Air Force One being vandalized - I mentioned missing Ws.  Which your article confirms did happen (okay, not "all" the Ws).  It was still a petty and childish act.

There was a GAO investigation that totaled damages around $15,000 during the transition, some of it isolated vandalism but a lot of it was damages incurred simply by moving out.
Hell, we did worse with our dorm room.

It was $20,000, but what's $5k among friends.  The $ amount was insignificant either way.  Hundreds of missing "W" keys don't add up to a lot of money.  The sophomoric pranks in the Eisenhower building were pretty shameful, nonetheless.

You know what is even more shameful, creating a story of the Clinton people trashing the White house.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2012, 11:06:08 AM
You know what is even more shameful, creating a story of the Clinton people trashing the White house.

In case you missed it right above your post:

QuoteDamage, theft, vandalism, and pranks occurred in the White House
complex during the 2001 presidential transition.  Incidents such as the
removal of keys from computer keyboards; the theft of various items; the
leaving of certain voice mail messages, signs, and written messages; and
the placing of glue on desk drawers clearly were intentional acts
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

It still didn't amount to a "trashing".  There were few pranks, and GOP made up a story on how the White house was trashed by the evil Clintons.  I bet the GAO investigation cost more then the damage.  Also, why did they spend nearly 5K to buy 62 keyboards?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2012, 11:19:03 AM
It still didn't amount to a "trashing".  There were few pranks, and GOP made up a story on how the White house was trashed by the evil Clintons. 

Then go take that up with "GOP".  I never used the word "trashing".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2012, 11:04:04 AM
That didn't take into account the work that needed to be done on the phones, but whatever.  If it means that much to you, I'll concede this one.

Verizon overcharges for business accounts.  You know that.

QuoteDamage, theft, vandalism, and pranks occurred in the White House complex during the 2001 presidential transition.  Incidents such as the removal of keys from computer keyboards; the theft of various items; the leaving of certain voice mail messages, signs, and written messages; and the placing of glue on desk drawers clearly were intentional acts.

Read the rest of the report.  I DID.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2012, 11:24:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2012, 11:04:04 AM

Verizon overcharges for business accounts.  You know that.

Read the rest of the report.  I DID.

Okay, I'll add it to my Kindle reading list.  I did at least read the conclusion, which I would imagine would be one of the more important parts of the report.

CountDeMoney

It still didn't amount to a "trashing".  There were few pranks, and GOP made up a story on how the White house was trashed by the evil Clintons.  I bet the GAO investigation cost more then the damage.  Also, why did they spend nearly 5K to buy 62 keyboards?

62 keyboards that WH administrative personnel stated that anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 were to be replaced due to age anyway.  But that sort of thing doesn't look good on The No Spin Zone.

If anything, I think it shows that Administrations shouldn't hire interns from the Ivy League.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2012, 11:22:44 AM
It still didn't amount to a "trashing".  There were few pranks, and GOP made up a story on how the White house was trashed by the evil Clintons. 

Then go take that up with "GOP".  I never used the word "trashing".

They don't return my calls anymore.  Besides the big instigator in this was Bob Barr, who went off to be a Libertarian.

mongers

alexmassie @alexmassie
One day someone will give a convention speech in which they say "Dad was a loser and I hated my mom as much as she hated me". But not yet.

:)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Clint Eastwood explains his speech to the Carmel Pine Cone:

http://www.pineconearchive.com/120907-1.html

Apparently he really did come up with it on the fly, there was no written speech, and the total "vetting" that happened was that they made sure "to reassure them that everything I would say would be nice about Mitt Romney."
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

I'm guessing the Pine Cone's website is seeing a nice little jump in traffic :D

I haven't made up my mind whether Clint's speech was a good thing or bad thing for the GOP.  I guess maybe the balance was very entertainingly neutral.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 03:18:11 PM
This should dispel any doubts where Romney stands on social issues: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/romney-endorses-ultraconservative-congressman

You mean he endorsed the Republican candidate in a close House race?  Insanity.