News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2012, 06:39:22 PM
Stronger Presidents have never had to deal with the House class of '10.  I sincerely doubt LBJ himself would've had much success with that crowd of amateur night assclowns.  You can't get anything done in the House without House leadership, and Boehner has proving to be completely incompetent in controlling a caucus that doesn't want to be controlled.

Hopefully a lot of them will get kicked, but I don't think it'll happen.

Whereas we witnessed miracles occurring during the Pelosi-Reid Connection of '08.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2012, 06:55:51 PM
Bill Clinton had many of the same problems.  Of course, we know how that ended up.

With a budget that was sorta balanced?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2012, 06:59:59 PM
Stronger Presidents have never had to deal with the House class of '10.  I sincerely doubt LBJ himself would've had much success with that crowd of amateur night assclowns.  You can't get anything done in the House without House leadership, and Boehner has proving to be completely incompetent in controlling a caucus that doesn't want to be controlled.

Whereas we witnessed miracles occurring during the Pelosi-Reid Connection of '08.

That, as Oprah would say, is for another show.  Totally different set of problems there.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 07:01:43 PM
Bill Clinton had many of the same problems.  Of course, we know how that ended up.

With an impeachment.  If I recall correctly, the GOP controlled congresses did a lot of obstruction during Clinton Presidency.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2012, 07:04:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2012, 06:59:59 PM

That, as Oprah would say, is for another show.  Totally different set of problems there.

I don't know. I mean apart from the bailouts (which can be judged depending on one's point of view), we didn't see a lot of great legislation that Obama could at all claim credit for. Seems to suggest that even without the Repubs, he wouldn't be doing so hot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

He would have done much better if he hadn't let Nancy drive.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2012, 07:14:09 PM

With an impeachment.  If I recall correctly, the GOP controlled congresses did a lot of obstruction during Clinton Presidency.

Oh they did that was when I stopped being a Republican partisan because I thought they clearly fell off the sanity wagon in their hatred of Clinton.  But compared to what has followed that was a glorious era, when our biggest problems were OJ Simpson and Figure Skaters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 02, 2012, 09:01:53 PM
He would have done much better if he hadn't let Nancy drive.

I'm not sure he had a choice.  I don't think he had enough cachet with his party to do otherwise.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 02, 2012, 04:24:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 03:59:57 PM
I think Obama is an incompetent liar.  It is just a tribute to the the political establishment these days that those qualities do not make him stand out that much.

Incompetent liar? I know the absence of evidence isn't evidence of anything.. but what lies has he been caught in?

He said he was going to reverse the abuses of the Bush administration and not only has he not done it he doubled down.  Now those things are pretty much established procedure thanks to Obama.  As far as incompetent he cannot manage Congress even when the Democrats controlled it. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 09:54:34 PM
He said he was going to reverse the abuses of the Bush administration and not only has he not done it he doubled down.

You make Gitmo and drone Whack-A-Mole sound like a bad thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 09:18:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2012, 07:14:09 PM

Oh they did that was when I stopped being a Republican partisan because I thought they clearly fell off the sanity wagon in their hatred of Clinton.  But compared to what has followed that was a glorious era, when our biggest problems were OJ Simpson and Figure Skaters.

Eh, they never really accepted defeat in 1992.  I recall bigger problems like terrorists attacking the Olympics and Abortion Clinics and Federal buildings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

That's the biggest problem with a huge number of right-wingers:  they refuse to acknowledge defeat and accept the legitimacy of the Democratic president.  This is a very dangerous trait in a democratic system.

Razgovory

I think Obama is an incompetent liar.  It is just a tribute to the the political establishment these days that those qualities do not make him stand out that much.

Incompetent liar? I know the absence of evidence isn't evidence of anything.. but what lies has he been caught in?

He said he was going to reverse the abuses of the Bush administration and not only has he not done it he doubled down.  Now those things are pretty much established procedure thanks to Obama.  As far as incompetent he cannot manage Congress even when the Democrats controlled it.

Wait, lets back up.  Are the original Bush policies still going on?  I was under the impression that Bush policies regarding Gitmo back in 2003 are quite different then they were in 2008.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2012, 10:56:19 PM

Wait, lets back up.  Are the original Bush policies still going on?  I was under the impression that Bush policies regarding Gitmo back in 2003 are quite different then they were in 2008.

I'm fairly sure there were some policy chages between 2003 and 2008, but Senator Obama in 2008 pretty explicitly ran against the policies in place at the time, not those of 5 years earlier.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2012, 10:52:49 PM
That's the biggest problem with a huge number of right-wingers:  they refuse to acknowledge defeat and accept the legitimacy of the Democratic president.  This is a very dangerous trait in a democratic system.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.