News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2012, 09:23:28 PM
Someone explain to me why the Republicans have a chance of winning this election.  Is It because people vote along party lines no matter what?  That might explain it but I also read that there is a growing number of independant voters.

So what is going on here.

When I read US political threads I usually look to Berkut as a kind of Bellweather voter but that might not be the case this election.

One might also ask why Obama is doing as well as he is in the polls, given the economy.  But then again, this is Languish, where Obama is infallible & Republicans are evil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Well, Dem Convention won't exactly be a bastion of honestly either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2012, 09:34:51 PM
Someone explain to me why the Republicans have a chance of winning this election.  Is It because people vote along party lines no matter what?  That might explain it but I also read that there is a growing number of independant voters.

When I read US political threads I usually look to Berkut as a kind of Bellweather voter but that might not be the case this election.

One might also ask why Obama is doing as well as he is in the polls, given the economy.  But then again, this is Languish, where Obama is infallible & Republicans are evil.

There's that persecution complex again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2012, 09:34:51 PMBut then again, this is Languish, where Obama is infallible & Republicans are evil.

Seriously?

DGuller

The easy answer is that there is a culture war, and the electorate is very polarized.  That also leads to insanity that makes people interpret reality in a way that fits their preconceived notions.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on August 31, 2012, 09:58:40 PMThe easy answer is that there is a culture war, and the electorate is very polarized.  That also leads to insanity that makes people interpret reality in a way that fits their preconceived notions.

It's pretty disconcerting.

MadImmortalMan

The economy sucks. The challenger will always have an advantage when that's the case.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 31, 2012, 10:05:46 PM
The economy sucks. The challenger will always have an advantage when that's the case.

And a black man in the White House, that gives the challeneger an edge too. /CdM

sbr

But seriously, this is  question I have been asking myself.  I have been meaning to start a thread on it, have a large part of the OP already written somewhere, but just haven't hit send yet for some reason.

My working hypothesis has been that the Republican party as configured cannot last and as time passes and the Baby Boomers die off and my kid's generation come of age this party will become obsolete.  The problem is I see young and intelligent people (mostly here, but I avoid political conversation everywhere) that are die hard conservatives and Republicans and they don't fit my theory.

Maybe I will start that thread this weekend.

Berkut

I've been saying for a long time that the Republicans have no chance at all. It won't be close.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2012, 11:21:39 PM
I've been saying for a long time that the Republicans have no chance at all. It won't be close.

Meh, I dunno;  Obama's campaign is having trouble motivating its base, and the GOP isn't, and they're rolling in cash now that the convention's over. 
I think a lot of swing voters--however many are even left at this point--in swing states ride on the debates, voter suppression notwithstanding.

I think this one's coming down to the wire;  but I can actually see a very real possibility where Obama could lose the popular vote, and still win the electoral college.  2000 VINDICTUS

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 11:32:05 PM

Meh, I dunno;  Obama's campaign is having trouble motivating its base, and the GOP isn't, and they're rolling in cash now that the convention's over. 
I think a lot of swing voters--however many are even left at this point--in swing states ride on the debates, voter suppression notwithstanding.

I think this one's coming down to the wire;  but I can actually see a very real possibility where Obama could lose the popular vote, and still win the electoral college.  2000 VINDICTUS

I think it'll be 2004 all over again.  Dems had a motivated base, fat lot of good it did.  In an attempt to cater to everyone they chose Kerry and ended up pleasing nobody.  Romney is the same thing.  I imagine the Obama campaign still had some attacks on Romney in reserve  they'll unleash a little later in the year.  Every attack on Obama has all ready been tried.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 11:32:05 PM

Meh, I dunno;  Obama's campaign is having trouble motivating its base,

that's what I don't get.
I assume that base doesn't want a Romney/Ryan or any other republican in the white house due to it being worse than someone of their own party being there.
Then how is remaining on one's lazy ass going to achieve that? Cause it makes that part of the base that does't vote the objective allies of the republicans (and vice versa for the republican base obviously)

dps

Quote from: sbr on August 31, 2012, 10:37:30 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 31, 2012, 10:05:46 PM

And a black man in the White House, that gives the challeneger an edge too. /CdM

I would say that the incumbent being an empty suit gives the challenger an edge, too.  But the Republicans have thrown that advantage away because they've nominated an even emptier suit.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on September 01, 2012, 03:57:03 AM
I would say that the incumbent being an empty suit gives the challenger an edge, too.

I don't think that statement's true regarding matters of policy and question the characterization if it regards to personality.

Also, I wouldn't characterize Romney as an "empty suit" in regards to personality, as he's pretty clearly an asshole and a bully.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?