News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Kinda nice wrap-up at the end.  Liked how that ended, well written.

dps

Quote from: Neil on August 30, 2012, 07:51:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 07:38:00 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 30, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
Fuck the Tea Party.
The only people Nixon hated more than over-educated elitists were under-educated idiots.  Welcome to today's GOP.
Then again, he also hated people who were given all the breaks.  The last President that he wouldn't have hated would have been Clinton.  Obama would be like the reincarnation of Reagan or JFK to him.

That reminds me of something I heard during the 2008 Presidential campaign, at the time that John McCain had the Republican nomination sewed up but Hilary Clinton was still trying to overtake Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination.  Someone had made a comment about how the race for President somehow showed that a priviliged background was becoming less important in politics, and someone else replied, roughly, "Yeah, a guy whose father and grandfather were both admirals in the US Navy, the wife of a former President, and a graduate of Harvard Law--no indication of any priviliged background there!".

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 10:10:39 PM
Oh wow, Mittens going whole hog on foreign policy, circa 1955.

No support for colonialist allies or anti-Soviet insurgents, but more roads and faster bombers? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 10:07:59 PM
"Guarantee the First Amendment promise of freedom of religion"?  What's that all about?  Where'd religion go the last four years?

I think that was code for more Mosques at Ground Zero.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2012, 10:07:24 PM
The Democrats should counter by giving a primetime spot at their convention to a hollywood a lister.

No wait, they shouldn't, because they would be ridiculed as the party of the out of touch hollywood elitists.
Eastwood was at least a mayor though. Can't they find a Democratic A lister mayor?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2012, 10:07:24 PM
No wait, they shouldn't, because they would be ridiculed as the party of the out of touch hollywood elitists.

They are the party of Hollywood elitists, and it just kills Republicans to think about it. Hence any time a famous actor mentions he's right of center, he gets a horde of people asking him to run for office, campaign for Presidential hopefuls, and appear on Fox News to spout off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Commentators over here say it's been a "meh" speech. Not much in terms of goal setting and even less about how those goals should be achieved (e.g. creating 12 million jobs). One commenter said that it was rather anti-climactic and after the very good build up to it, and said that Romney rather played it safe than taking any chances.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on August 31, 2012, 02:51:50 AM
Commentators over here say it's been a "meh" speech. Not much in terms of goal setting and even less about how those goals should be achieved (e.g. creating 12 million jobs). One commenter said that it was rather anti-climactic and after the very good build up to it, and said that Romney rather played it safe than taking any chances.

Well, sweeping policy initiatives wasn't the goal;  the goal was to show that he actually had a heartbeat and not a warranty card. In that vein, it sorta worked, what with all his family stuff.

Some of his message was a bit off.  His foreign policy stuff was off the mark, accusing the Administration about "throwing Israel under the bus", not doing anything about Iran, and I'm not sure where the circa 1982 anti-Russian stuff is coming from.  Then again, Psycho John Bolton is practically guaranteed to be his Secretary of State, so there ya go.  While he and Ryan tinker with the economy like it's an Ayn Rand living lab, they're going to hand off foreign policy to the Dubya neocons.  Yikes.

But, as usual, the people running his campaign managed to get their candidate lost in the mix;  only this time, it wasn't a gaffe or the message of a bad commercial.  Today, people are talking about the Clint Eastwood meltdown, not their candidate.  That last night was almost a disaster.

But, it was just another a variation on a theme, more pandering, less policy.

He may get a bounce, but only for a few days:  Big Barry's got the stage starting Tuesday.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2012, 05:42:56 AMBut, as usual, the people running his campaign managed to get their candidate lost in the mix;  only this time, it wasn't a gaffe or the message of a bad commercial.  Today, people are talking about the Clint Eastwood meltdown, not their candidate.  That last night was almost a disaster.

Yeah, so I read. That he was a) difficult to understand and b) coming across rather senile.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

What's with all the Eastwood speech hate?  People keep saying 'bizarre', but it was a pretty standard speech.  The delivery was a little bit broken, but the guy is over 80 years old.

All of the sudden, I'm starting to think that speiss might have a point with the whole media bias thing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I love Clint, but he struck me as drunk.  I was afraid he was going to overshadow Mittenses' speech, but it turned out he did:  for all the wrong reasons.

I was expecting something more like Chuck Heston's "my cold dead fingers" speech from years ago, an impassioned plea for conservatism and Americana.

It just went bad, and really screwed up the tempo of the evening.   Dirty Harry is old. :(  Should've called in Arnold.

Jaron

Arnold is good. I remember him campaigning for someone years ago:

"(Candidate B) says they are tougher on crime? I thought I was the star of True Lies!"
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

I think Eastwood did a good job of lightening up the mood after a bunch of Mormons bored everybody out of their fucking minds.

It seems to me that most of the people hating on Eastwood are die-hard Obama fans, and most of them think that Eastwood is some kind of racist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2012, 07:58:18 AM
It seems to me that most of the people hating on Eastwood are die-hard Obama fans, and most of them think that Eastwood is some kind of racist.

I thought it was rather amusing that a convention hall full of people slathering over Eastwood last night were exactly the same people screaming about him endorsing Obama in code with his Super Bowl commercial.

ITS HALFTIME IN AMERICA OMG 4 MORE YEARS OF OBAMA

Neil

Didn't Karl Rove say that he was some kind of traitor?