News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:16:32 PM
I stand by my earlier comment.  Obama was preaching collectivism over individualism, and it's no secret he views the private sector with contempt.

Contempt?  Nah.  Suspicion, maybe.  And fucking rightfully so.  But I wouldn't go so far as contempt.  That's what Republicans have towards women.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 05:46:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2012, 05:34:21 PM
That was the last day that SUV were produced which is what D's link said:

Big difference between the 2,000 plant workers that left after that vehicle was done, and the 57 contractors that stuck around to finish some Isuzu stuff.

But in the end, the decision to put the plant to sleep was before Obama was sworn in.

It remains that the factory was still in operation in 2009, and that Obama was giving the Janesville workers false hope.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:20:57 PM
It remains that the factory was still in operation in 2009, and that Obama was giving the Janesville workers false hope.

Nope.  And nope.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 06:22:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:20:57 PM

Nope.  And nope.

I wonder who you'll slavishly cling to once Obama is out of office, whenever that happens.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

If only I could use the roads and bridges, I could be a successful business owner too.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 03:57:16 PM
I still don't quite understand your outrage.  The President made statements diminishing the accomplishments of small business owners ("You didn't build that" was IMO actually worse in the full context of his remarks) and the GOP is taking exception to it.
They didn't build that infrastructure. If they think they did perhaps they need to be diminished some more.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:26:05 PM
I wonder who you'll slavishly cling to once Obama is out of office, whenever that happens.

That's easy:  until the GOP returns to its roots, circa 1972, then whoever opposes this vile modern incarnation of it.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:16:32 PMNobody is claiming we don't need education, roads, etc.

As long as you don't have to pay for it, evidently. It seems you also want to take credit for building it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2012, 09:39:29 AM
I'm thinking reproductive rights, immigration rights, equal rights for gay marriage, the right to medical care, etc.

Immigration rights?  The right to medical care?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2012, 06:54:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:16:32 PMNobody is claiming we don't need education, roads, etc.

As long as you don't have to pay for it, evidently. It seems you also want to take credit for building it.

Right, because we're all advocating a zero percent tax rate?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 07:18:07 PMRight, because we're all advocating a zero percent tax rate?

Seems right since you're the one who's building it.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 30, 2012, 04:58:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 03:57:16 PM

I still don't quite understand your outrage.  The President made statements diminishing the accomplishments of small business owners ("You didn't build that" was IMO actually worse in the full context of his remarks)

:huh:

QuoteThere are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back.  They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own.  You didn't get there on your own.  I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.  (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.  There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.  Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.  Somebody invested in roads and bridges.  If you've got a business -- you didn't build that.  Somebody else made that happen.  The Internet didn't get invented on its own.  Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.  There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own.  I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service.  That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

I don't think it "denigrates" small business owners to point out that they benefit from their country's strong institutions and infrastructure.  There is no shortage of entrepreneurial energy in Nigeria yet small businesses struggle.  I will give you a hint: it is not because of high capital gains taxes (only 10% in Nigeria). 

I have come round to teh view that the single biggest danger the US faces domestically is the fundamental lack of popular understanding about the true sources of wealth and economic success on a national level.  Eisenhower understood it, Nixon understood it, Reagan understood, the Bushes did too.  And Romney definitely understands it but like so much in this campaign, hides from it out of some demented political calculation that victory demands abject pandering to the most staggeringly ignorant and atavistic qualities of his base. 

This whole flap is one of the best demonstrations of the mental defects of the TP crowd and the politicians who should know better but facilitate them. 

Sadly, it is just one of many examples of how completely ridiculous the TP has become.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 06:48:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 06:26:05 PM

That's easy:  until the GOP returns to its roots, circa 1972, then whoever opposes this vile modern incarnation of it.
I approve of what you're selling here.

Fuck the Tea Party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2012, 07:20:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 07:18:07 PMRight, because we're all advocating a zero percent tax rate?

Seems right since you're the one who's building it.

:huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 30, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
Fuck the Tea Party.

The only people Nixon hated more than over-educated elitists were under-educated idiots.  Welcome to today's GOP.