And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on August 30, 2012, 01:59:02 PM
Most of them aren't even Catholic

I groaned, I laughed, I cried, I hurled.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I am wondering if the Republicans these days are more histrionic and full of shit than in the past, or whether they've always been like this and I am just less tolerant in my old age.

The "We Built It!" chants just made me want to throw up. Cognitive dissonance is bad enough, but embracing stupid with that much will and enthusiasm is just plain distasteful.

I am surprised that the voter registration crap isn't trotted out as the prime example of current Republican stomping on basic liberty. It is, IMO, significantly more reprehensible than abortion. I can understand the position on abortion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2012, 02:33:47 PMI am surprised that the voter registration crap isn't trotted out as the prime example of current Republican stomping on basic liberty. It is, IMO, significantly more reprehensible than abortion. I can understand the position on abortion.

I'm led to understand that the voter registration thing is about combatting fraud, and is thus uncontroversial.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2012, 02:33:47 PM
I am surprised that the voter registration crap isn't trotted out as the prime example of current Republican stomping on basic liberty.

I tried, but nobody's listening.  Reverend Al and I are inconsolable.

derspiess

The "We Built It!" chants just made me want to throw up. Cognitive dissonance is bad enough, but embracing stupid with that much will and enthusiasm is just plain distasteful.

What's wrong with it, specifically?  Other than being repetitive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 03:11:08 PM
I am surprised that the voter registration crap isn't trotted out as the prime example of current Republican stomping on basic liberty.

RESIST YOU MUCH!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 03:16:13 PM

I think its pretty obvious the flaws in it and a quick google search reveals them - but I kinda see it as similar to "Yes We Can"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 03:11:08 PM

Quoteanother thing, let me take my glasses off
cause I wanna see the reaction on their faces when I say this
uhh Mr Al Sharpton, this is why I don't respect you and nobody like ya
see you're the type that gets off on getting on other people

but I also don't respect you and I don't care if that's good or bad
you see you are no MLK you are no Jesse Jackson, you are nobody, to me, your just another don king, with a perm, hahah just a little more political, and that just means you're a little unhuman
than us humans, and now let me be human and say, f**k Al Sharpton and anyone like him
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

It is based in intentionally distorting something the President said in order to create a mythology that is at the same time stupid and ignorant (the idea that individuals in modern society had zero help from the society they exist in to be successful) and populist and shallowly arrogant.

As populist slogans go, I can't imagine something more offensive to anyone with an actual brain that isn't actively racist.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2012, 03:37:39 PM

It is based in intentionally distorting something the President said in order to create a mythology that is at the same time stupid and ignorant (the idea that individuals in modern society had zero help from the society they exist in to be successful) and populist and shallowly arrogant.

As populist slogans go, I can't imagine something more offensive to anyone with an actual brain that isn't actively racist.

I still don't quite understand your outrage.  The President made statements diminishing the accomplishments of small business owners ("You didn't build that" was IMO actually worse in the full context of his remarks) and the GOP is taking exception to it.

Blame Obama for giving them the ammo.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2012, 04:02:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 03:09:23 PM
That's pretty much a regurgitation of all the other "dog whistle politics" BS that's been slung around.  Lord knows Chris Matthews went off on that last night every chance he got.

They're simply shoring up their base, the Unhappy White Person.

Isn't that... us? :unsure:

In other news, and I'm not reading this whole thread to see if it's been reported, but this is fucked up: Journey is playing the RNC.  NO JON CAIN NO.  Steve Perry's voice is rolling in its grave.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2012, 04:17:36 PM
Isn't that... us? :unsure:

I'm quite happy.  Maybe you're not, but I told you not to go to law school.

QuoteIn other news, and I'm not reading this whole thread to see if it's been reported, but this is fucked up: Journey is playing the RNC.

That just mean it's couples skate.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 04:48:42 PM
I'm quite happy.

Is this a new development, or have you been mostly happy since the beginning of the forum?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Since I guess this has taken over as the general election thread, DGuller, have you been watching the Intrade odds for Romney/Obama?

They are about 43-55 in favor of Obama. I tend to think that is too close to even--the polling is typically within the margin of error but with Obama in the lead, but  the last "no toss up" state map I saw had Obama with over 300 electoral votes. It seems Romney is going to win by several points nationally to win the electoral college, and the polling hasn't shown he can get that kind of lead.

I think I'd handicap it closer to 30-70.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2012, 04:51:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 04:48:42 PM
I'm quite happy.

Is this a new development, or have you been mostly happy since the beginning of the forum?

What, all this time you couldn't fucking tell?