News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Documentary Recomendations

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2012, 10:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Science, History, etc... there are lots of great documentaries on all of them.

So, suggest some.

I'll go first, Sex in the Stone Age by National Geographic

About the sequencing of the Neanderthal and Denisova genomes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c678VIdEDdg
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Old but gold, someone has put all of the early Michael Wood 'Dark Age' documentaries on youtube.

This one starts in a Malmesbury Abbey about 45 miles from here. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCsXLdytwj8

That uses Stephminx appears to be the best bet for seeing all of them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

I asked my favorite paleoanthropologist a question inspired by that documentary and he answered within the hour! :w00t:

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/mailbag/denisova-diversity-2012.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Dogs Decoded, a NOVA documentary on the domestication of the canine, their evolution with man, and how recent research over the last 30 years in canine intelligence shows how they actually outscore primates in certain cognitive intelligence tests.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Malthus

My favorite is a very strange one called Fast, Cheap and Out of Control (and no, it was not about co-eds.  :P):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119107/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Battles B.C.
Not online, I think.  It's about famous battles of the antiquity, notably the Jewish exodus from Egypt and the conquest of the land by expelling the native.  It tells of the myths, and how they relate to what most likely happenned given what we know.  They also have a few on Romans and Alexander the Great.  It's done in the 300 style.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

There was a series on History about myths, explaining the myth itself (could be Hercules or Thor), and also examining (in less detail, unfortunately) the origins of the myths and  how they may have come about. It was hit and miss, but not too bad.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Has anyone recommended the documentary on Stalin's ape-man army?  If not, then that one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"