"There's not a lot of optimism in history, it seems to me", ?

Started by mongers, August 24, 2012, 05:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Just listening to a radio 4 podcast about the Greek and wider Euro crisis and at the very end the historians were asked if there were optomistic or not, the last word went to the guy who said "there's not a lot of optimism in history it seems to me"

Do you agree with him ?

I've just found his website and his post about the interview:

http://ww2history.com/blog/ww2-relevance/optimism-and-history/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

going a bit hegelian here aren't we, optimism is a state of mind regarding the nature of the future, history is the study of the past. I don't see how optimism has anything to do with history unless you are a certain kind of german philosopher?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 05:21:06 PM
going a bit hegelian here aren't we, optimism is a state of mind regarding the nature of the future, history is the study of the past. I don't see how optimism has anything to do with history unless you are a certain kind of german philosopher?

So in your mind the present is an impermeable brick wall ?

Viking

Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2012, 05:25:02 PM

No, I don't think optimism and history have anything to do with each other, if they did I couldn't get out of bed in the morning NASA tries and fails to watch the big rocks floating around near earth. They are sufficiently bad at tracking these rocks that at any time we can choose to mention we are never more than a few hours away from the extinction of the human race.

History is collective human experience and as such should be a tool to achieve the ends we see as good rather than brooding about if we are in a golden age or not (unless we are talking about animation).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I disagree with him.  The one consistent trend throughout history has been progress and improvement.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 06:21:53 PM
I disagree with him.  The one consistent trend throughout history has been progress and improvement.
Well, there were the Dark Ages, and the First World War.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2012, 06:44:06 PM

Do you know what a trend is Neil?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 06:49:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2012, 06:44:06 PM
Do you know what a trend is Neil?
And then there's the modern era.  Progress ended in mid-December 1972.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Agreed, but for some continents more than others.
There's a reason so many Europeans wear black and walk around sullen and jaded all the time.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 07:10:27 PM

Agreed, but for some continents more than others.
There's a reason so many Europeans wear black and walk around sullen and jaded all the time.

Hang on, I though you were a bit of a goth in your youth, or is that another languishite ?

Razgovory

Sure is.  I've never been able to get to the future.  When I think I have arrived it turns out to be the present again.  I've even had worse luck going to the past.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

No, I don't think optimism and history have anything to do with each other, if they did I couldn't get out of bed in the morning NASA tries and fails to watch the big rocks floating around near earth. They are sufficiently bad at tracking these rocks that at any time we can choose to mention we are never more than a few hours away from the extinction of the human race.

History is collective human experience and as such should be a tool to achieve the ends we see as good rather than brooding about if we are in a golden age or not (unless we are talking about animation).

Really, how bad are people at tracking big rocks floating in space?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2012, 07:32:51 PM
Hang on, I though you were a bit of a goth in your youth, or is that another languishite ?

I was happy as a fucking clam, man.