Several People Shot Outside Empire State Building

Started by garbon, August 24, 2012, 08:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 24, 2012, 11:23:09 AM
Shootings suck. :(

BTW, in that last article Garbon posted, I like how they included:

QuotePolice cordoned off a one-block perimeter around the Empire State Building after the shooting. Around 10 a.m., a lone tourist bus headed down Fifth Avenue, and a guide could be heard over the bus's mic explaining they were nearing the landmark. As police waved the bus to detour down 36th Street, the guide was openly mystified. "I don't know what's going on, folks," he said, as the bus turned. By then the bus's passengers were looking up at the sky at a news helicopter floating overhead. Some stood, clutching their cameras.

Definitely newsworthy.  Such a reaction from a tour bus is unprecedented.  The story, though, left out how the police asked people to step aside when they laid out the cordon, and didn't tell us anything about the width of the police tape, nor where it was procured.  Not a cop who set up the cordon is named, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2012, 09:28:25 AM
But we'll just go ahead and continue with the incredibly popular "why-couldn't-they-just-shoot-the-gun-out-of-his-hand" criticism to police-related shootings.

Yeah, why didn't they just shoot the gun out of his hand?  And it was clearly police brutality that they killed they guy when they could have just shot to wound him! :mad:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2012, 09:23:17 AM
Btw, the one part I find creepy is the news bit that most if not all of the injuries to bystanders came from bullets fired by the police and the killer...

It happens.  Gunfire exchanges rarely go according to script, particularly with bystanders around.

But we'll just go ahead and continue with the incredibly popular "why-couldn't-they-just-shoot-the-gun-out-of-his-hand" criticism to police-related shootings.

Of course it happens. But to have it be 9 people? Not fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Well, if they either have atrocious aim or don't know who they're supposed to be shooting at, it's probably best not to fire.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2012, 09:54:50 AM
Well, if they either have atrocious aim or don't know who they're supposed to be shooting at, it's probably best not to fire.

OK, Wyatt Earp.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2012, 09:41:12 AM
Btw, the one part I find creepy is the news bit that most if not all of the injuries to bystanders came from bullets fired by the police and the killer...

It happens.  Gunfire exchanges rarely go according to script, particularly with bystanders around.

Of course it happens. But to have it be 9 people? Not fun.
I'm sure that number includes people hit by debri from bullet hits rather than bullets themselves.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2012, 09:10:35 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 11:37:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 10:32:55 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 05:47:02 PM
if true this is creepy

Why is that creepy?

I don't need to justify my emotions to you.

I wasn't asking for a justification - just trying to understand.

What I saw was that the Onion had made an article about Americans being happy there had been no shootings - and then the next day there was.  As MSil's post here pointed out - not so surprising that the Onion would run such a piece as shootings have been a common news item for the US in the last few weeks.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were actually being serious for once.

I find all apparent premonitions intrinsically creepy and I find satire that unintentionally hits home as hard as that onion article did creepy as well, especially when lives are lost.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2012, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 24, 2012, 02:37:33 PM
Crime doesn't exist in Portugal, eh?
To be fair, the murder rate in Portugal is 1.2 . . .

Even the criminals with ambition gave emigrated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 27, 2012, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2012, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 24, 2012, 02:37:33 PM
Crime doesn't exist in Portugal, eh?
To be fair, the murder rate in Portugal is 1.2 . . .

Even the criminals with ambition gave emigrated.
Well, Portugal's heyday was centuries ago.  Anybody left with gumption has moved to greener pastures.
PDH!

lustindarkness

Or just tackle him, guns are not needed in civilized societies.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom