Place your bets...how badly will AGEOD's new Roman game be fucked up?

Started by Ed Anger, August 23, 2012, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

http://www.aleajactaest-game.com/

I predict... moderately fucked up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Did anyone ever finish a game of that Vanity of Nations one?  I've had no luck with AGEOD.  In the Civil War one I kept fighting the Confederates around the Great Lakes and the WWI game ran like ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I warned you all about how much a turd that WWI game was. Tamas tried to polish it with BeetShine(tm), but the light of the truth from me exposed it for what it was, Gypsyware.

I think I got 20 some years in of Pus of Nations before my allies started camping their entire armies in my beloved Austria.

I loved catching Lettows near Cleveland and chopping a Rebel corps up with corps choo-choo in from everywhere. Dodgy AI= fun rebel killin'. Squee.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 23, 2012, 07:23:07 PM
I warned you all about how much a turd that WWI game was. Tamas tried to polish it with BeetShine(tm), but the light of the truth from me exposed it for what it was, Gypsyware.

Different developer.

Pride of Nations (ProN) was too ambitious for their engine. I hear Rise of Prussia and Revolution Under Siege are quite good, though. Aleia Iacta Est seems like a return to that model.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

szmik

Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2012, 07:13:42 PM
Did anyone ever finish a game of that Vanity of Nations one?  I've had no luck with AGEOD.  In the Civil War one I kept fighting the Confederates around the Great Lakes and the WWI game ran like ass.

Finish? Maybe in lifetime ;)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I think I got 20 some years in of Pus of Nations before my allies started camping their entire armies in my beloved Austria.

I loved catching Lettows near Cleveland and chopping a Rebel corps up with corps choo-choo in from everywhere. Dodgy AI= fun rebel killin'. Squee.

It's not my problem that you are too old to realize what a great simulation that game is, under the sub-par interface.

And as Syt said, this Roman game is a return to their ACW, Wars in America etc. style of games.

szmik

WW1 was great idea, except it barely worked as intended and AI sucked. On the other hand you could solo all powers by yourself or play hotseat.  :)
I don't quite remember what made me quit though. Must have been some serious nuisance.  :hmm:

Vanglory of Nations is good for MP, because unsurprisingly AI leaves much to be desired. I played solo all powers for 12 years or so... was interesting. Bid economic system is great for the game, but needed more balance. Turn processing takes quite some time though.  :sleep:

RUS was best of them imho, smaller scale made it more manageable, but it was quite bugged when I stopped playing. It was like early beta at release.

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2012, 01:48:41 AM

It's not my problem that you are too old to realize what a great simulation that game is, under the sub-par interface.

And as Syt said, this Roman game is a return to their ACW, Wars in America etc. style of games.

More BeetShine (tm) on the turd.

Mr. Grey

Quote from: Habbaku on August 24, 2012, 01:11:04 AM
Will buy when it's $5.

So like the week after it is released?

I will definitely purchase it, but not for $20.
Autokrator lives

Habbaku

Anyone get it?  It was released on the 22nd.  Is it all Jacta up?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien