Fox reveals name of Navy SEAL who led raid against bin Laden

Started by Jacob, August 23, 2012, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Fox News reveals the real name of the Navy SEAL who lead the raid that captured bin Laden: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/23/author-bin-laden-raid-insider-account-idd-could-face-legal-trouble/

The publisher responds on behalf of the writer:
QuoteFor Immediate Release

Mark Owen, like every SEAL he has served with, has put his life on the line time and again for his country for more than a decade. Sharing the true story of his personal experience in NO EASY DAY is a courageous act in the face of obvious risks to his personal security. That personal security is the sole reason the book is being published under a pseudonym. We respectfully request that all news organizations and all Americans consider these facts when deciding whether to pursue or publicize his real identity.

Why would Fox reveal the name?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2012, 03:36:17 PM

So there can be more bitching about leaks in the Obama Administration?

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2012, 04:06:25 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2012, 03:36:17 PM

So there can be more bitching about leaks in the Obama Administration?

... but it was Fox who leaked it?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2012, 04:07:54 PM

You're not really grasping how this sort of thing works, are you?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2012, 04:13:12 PM

If you want to get slightly conspiratorial, FOX leaks the name because now the american public has a name to connect to the bin Laden raid who is not Obama.  So people can thank Matt Bissonette, and criticize Obama for stealing his credit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Next you'll be telling me Andy MacNab isn't really George Michael.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2012, 04:19:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2012, 04:13:12 PM

If you want to get slightly conspiratorial, FOX leaks the name because now the american public has a name to connect to the bin Laden raid who is not Obama.  So people can thank Matt Bissonette, and criticize Obama for stealing his credit.

It does dovetail "nicely" (as in exact!) into that ex-Navy Seal campaign about Obama taking too much credit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Interesting that the leader of the whole mission was just a chief.

Another theory is that internal regs might say an acting SEAL can't divulge his name to the public, but he wouldn't mind the publicity, so Fox gives him the wink wink treatment.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2012, 05:29:17 PM
Interesting that the leader of the whole mission was just a chief.

He wasn't the leader of the whole mission. 

The article is extraordinarily poorly written, and the title's reference to "questions raised whether ex-Navy SEALs have freedom of speech" is an interesting bit of hype because he then ignores that issue in his article (mostly because there are no questions about whether SEALs have freedom of speech).

The other thing that struck me is that the author is described as "36 years old" and "retired."  Unless he retired through disability, that's not possible.  I suggest he isn't retired at all, but just left the service.  That, though, opens up the question as to why someone would serve long enough to make chief (used to be 14 years, minimum) but not long enough to retire (20 years, minimum).  There may be more to the decision to write this book than just a desire to "tell the truth."  A disgruntled vet who jst wanted to make some cash while the time was right would do just what this guy is doing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Grumbler, why are you so fucking wise?
I need to borrow your analitical powers.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on August 24, 2012, 08:18:52 AM

His experiences fighting Marc Anthony are where it comes from.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 24, 2012, 01:13:09 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 24, 2012, 08:18:52 AM

His experiences fighting Marc Anthony are where it comes from.

For J-Lo's affection?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.