Americans near the Great Lakes are radically changing the sound of English

Started by jimmy olsen, August 22, 2012, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2012, 10:49:36 AM
Still doesn't come to mind.  Is this how girls speak while in college or something they pick up while in college & continue speaking that way after they graduate?

Michelle Obama sort of speaks through her nose.

Warspite

I suppose the New Zealand accent must also be "mysterious" and "baffling" to linguists.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2012, 12:28:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2012, 10:49:36 AM
Still doesn't come to mind.  Is this how girls speak while in college or something they pick up while in college & continue speaking that way after they graduate?

Michelle Obama sort of speaks through her nose.

Her huge, gorilla like nose.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Caliga

I like the Chicago accent. :)

HEART ATTAAAAAAACK!  DONE.  DAT MAKES A BAKERS DOZEN FUR ME BAAAAHB!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I apparently have a strange accent since people in the area always think I'm from somewhere else.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

When I was a kid people used to ask me if I was from Texas. :hmm:  I got that like 3-4 times.

The other week a guy was in the office from California and he seemed shocked when I told him I grew up in Pennsylvania.  He said it sounded for sure like I had a Southern accent.  The odd thing is that he grew up in LA, and yet he sounded to me like he was from New England... not quite Boston, but more like a Rhode Island/Fall River sorta accent.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2012, 09:34:56 PM
When I was a kid people used to ask me if I was from Texas. :hmm:  I got that like 3-4 times.

The other week a guy was in the office from California and he seemed shocked when I told him I grew up in Pennsylvania.  He said it sounded for sure like I had a Southern accent.  The odd thing is that he grew up in LA, and yet he sounded to me like he was from New England... not quite Boston, but more like a Rhode Island/Fall River sorta accent.
Row Di'land/Fall Riva!?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PRC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2012, 07:51:37 AM
I enjoy most accents.  Can't really think of one off the top of my head that annoys me.

Thick Newfie accents are a little raw, but enjoyable as a curiosity.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2012, 09:26:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2012, 09:21:35 PM
Um...ok.  Anybody who lives up that way have any idea what this weirdo Great Lakes accent is this article is babbling about?

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoJ1-ZGb1w
Black as block?
OK, thats just silly.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on August 24, 2012, 12:15:42 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2012, 07:51:37 AM
I enjoy most accents.  Can't really think of one off the top of my head that annoys me.

Thick Newfie accents are a little raw, but enjoyable as a curiosity.

We had a few newfies in Yukon. I liked their accents. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.