Syrian Violence Spreading Into Lebanon; Another Civil War On The Horizon?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 22, 2012, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The fighting in Syria doesn't look like it will end anytime soon. Given that, the longstanding political domination of Lebanon by Syria and the ongoing refugee crisis that is affecting neighboring states, I think the spread of fighting to Lebanon and its escalation is inevitable and will only intensify from here on out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/22/us-lebanon-tripoli-idUSBRE87K0FC20120822
QuoteDeath toll from Lebanon fighting climbs to 12

Tue, Aug 21 2012

TRIPOLI, Lebanon | Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43pm EDT

(Reuters) - The death toll from fighting between Lebanese Sunni Muslims and Alawites echoing the conflict in Syria climbed to at least 12 on Wednesday, the third day of clashes described as some of the heaviest since Lebanon's 1975-90 civil war.

More than 100 people have been wounded in the bloodshed this week along a sectarian fault line in the northern city of Tripoli running between the Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh and the Alawite area of Jebel Mohsen.

"A ceasefire was supposed to take place this afternoon but it did not happen," a Tripoli resident told Reuters.

The sectarian tone of the fighting reflects the conflict in neighboring Syria which increasingly sets a mainly Sunni Muslim opposition against President Bashar al-Assad's Alawite minority.

After a night-time lull, Tripoli was rocked by around two dozen explosions between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Wednesday, apparently caused by rocket-propelled grenades, witnesses said. The fighters have also been using machineguns.

Sunni-Alawite tensions have been chronic in the region and they boiled over into clashes in early June that killed 15 people. At least 10 soldiers have been wounded in efforts to stop the violence.

(Reporting by Nazih Siddiq; Writing by Tom Perry; Editing by Mark Heinrich)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

As a child of the 80s, fighting in Lebanon still seems to me to be the natural order of things.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 22, 2012, 09:04:55 PM
As a child of the 80s, fighting in Lebanon still seems to me to be the natural order of things.

Yeah, just variations on a theme.  DRUZE WITH ATTITUDE

Valmy

Hey it looks like we will be getting another inflow of Arabic Christians.  Should we take them or should Europe?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2012, 09:19:42 PM
Hey it looks like we will be getting another inflow of Arabic Christians.  Should we take them or should Europe?
Us!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Was there ever a time that Lebanon was not in the midst of war or on the precipice of war?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2012, 09:33:54 PM
Was there ever a time that Lebanon was not in the midst of war or on the precipice of war?

49-54, 59-66 68-74, 1992-2005 ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2012, 10:04:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2012, 09:33:54 PM

49-54, 59-66 68-74, 1992-2005 ? :unsure:

There was fighting between 1992-2005.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Grapes_of_Wrath  Here's an example.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Iormlund

I knew a Lebanese guy from high school, very nice guy.  Still run into him at the gym sometimes. I'd never refuse that kind of immigrant. Plus his sister was hot enough to get some minor modeling jobs.

Duque de Bragança

Lebanese Christians tend to not identify as Arabs themselves. Furthermore, they already emigrate a lot, so the point is moot.

Valmy

Well the Syrian Alawites will probably soon be looking for new homes also soon.  I recomend Des Moines, Iowa.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2012, 08:53:08 AM
Well the Syrian Alawites will probably soon be looking for new homes also soon.  I recomend Des Moines, Iowa.
:lol: Why?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2012, 08:53:08 AM

I predict large ammounts of russian 122mm guns in concentric circles pointing out around latakia in the near future.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Iormlund on August 23, 2012, 07:29:42 AM
I knew a Lebanese guy from high school, very nice guy.  Still run into him at the gym sometimes. I'd never refuse that kind of immigrant. Plus his sister was hot enough to get some minor modeling jobs.

Cincinnati got a lot of Syrian & Lebanese Christians starting about 100 years ago & continuing through today.  These days they tend to open restaurants that serve some really kick-ass food.  One of my favorite places to go is owned by a Lebanese dude, who has become a goofy celebrity of sorts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall