And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you have critical illness insurance?

Started by Martinus, August 22, 2012, 07:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Zanza

HVC

is most of that 6 grand (had to convert to something i know :D ) going to your mortgage, or is a good chunk going to other? If it's other, then in case of necessity you can cut down on the apple addiction of boyfriend tax :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

I mean if you're worried about you're mortgage you'd be better off funneling what you'd pay as insurance into paying off your mortgage (assuming poland allows fast repayments)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2012, 09:19:01 AM
It's called long-term disability insurance, and yes I have it.
cricital illness will pay when you get sick for a number of diseases (say, in my case, they list 21 diseases), no matter if your work or not, no matter if you're disabled or not, no matter your age.  It's one lumpsum payment.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on August 22, 2012, 10:37:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2012, 09:24:09 AM
LTDI is about you being an invalid/unable to work (and more often has a periodical payment rather than a lump sum paid to you).
I have that. Never heard about the other kind of insurance you talk about. What's the point? Either I am acutely sick and then the health insurance pays or I am chronically sick and can't work anymore and then my long-term disability insurance pays. It wouldn't fully replace my current income, but it would allow me to survive on it. I guess that's the point of a disaster insurance.

Yeah there must be something missing in the translation regarding what Marti is talking about.  If the things he mentioned are not actually disabling him from working (something short term and long term disability insurance would cover) then, I agree, what is the point of insuring against it.

I have been acutely sick and I continue to be chronically ill but I for the most part that has not impacted my ability to work.  My LTD premiums are high enough.  I can't imagine what it would cost for the sort of thing Marti is talking about.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2012, 11:32:00 AM
LTDI is about you being an invalid/unable to work (and more often has a periodical payment rather than a lump sum paid to you).
I have that. Never heard about the other kind of insurance you talk about. What's the point? Either I am acutely sick and then the health insurance pays or I am chronically sick and can't work anymore and then my long-term disability insurance pays. It wouldn't fully replace my current income, but it would allow me to survive on it. I guess that's the point of a disaster insurance.

Yeah there must be something missing in the translation regarding what Marti is talking about.  If the things he mentioned are not actually disabling him from working (something short term and long term disability insurance would cover) then, I agree, what is the point of insuring against it.

I have been acutely sick and I continue to be chronically ill but I for the most part that has not impacted my ability to work.  My LTD premiums are high enough.  I can't imagine what it would cost for the sort of thing Marti is talking about.

This is what Marti is talking about : http://www.desjardins.com/en/entreprises/solutions/assurances/assurances-vie-sante-invalidite/maladies-graves/protection-maladies-graves-vision.jsp
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 22, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2012, 11:32:00 AM

This is what Marti is talking about : http://www.desjardins.com/en/entreprises/solutions/assurances/assurances-vie-sante-invalidite/maladies-graves/protection-maladies-graves-vision.jsp
"•E. coli infection (hamburger disease)"

McDonalds is going to be pissed :P

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2012, 11:37:22 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2012, 11:24:57 AM
so it's like a Hep C lottery?

:lol:
i don't get the point of the insurance, really. i guess insurance companies needed a new revenue stream. i blame dguller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
i don't get the point of the insurance, really.

The only thing I can think of is it's more cut and dried than disability.  You got cancer?  Boom, here's your dough.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2012, 10:52:31 AM
Please read what I wrote. :)

Why?  It's just another one of your bullshit passive-aggressive forum hand grenades.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2012, 11:42:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
i don't get the point of the insurance, really.

The only thing I can think of is it's more cut and dried than disability.  You got cancer?  Boom, here's your dough.

Well there is that.  But with disability insurance you get covered for the whole period of disability.  This is a one shot payment that may or may not be adequate.  So the lottery analogy works in a number of ways.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2012, 11:04:30 AM
is most of that 6 grand (had to convert to something i know :D ) going to your mortgage, or is a good chunk going to other? If it's other, then in case of necessity you can cut down on the apple addiction of boyfriend tax :P

Half of it is mortgage.

What I meant is that if something happens, I want a lump sum to, say, manage the "controlled fall" where I sell my bigger mortgaged flat and cut the costs, rather than having to immediately cut into my savings - I am not talking about getting enough cash to live on the same level of expense until the end of my life.

And the kind of premium I have been looking at is around $150 per month so nothing huge and would definitely not make a difference if I funnelled it into my mortgage.