News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Self-help books

Started by Capetan Mihali, August 21, 2012, 02:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

The Bible is the only self-help book you need.

HVC

Quote from: Phillip V on August 22, 2012, 12:22:33 AM
The Bible is the only self-help book you need.
that's a depressing self help book. Basically whatever you do you're doing it wrong and going to hell because of it :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

The only self-help book I ever read was a downloaded PDF. "How to immediately connect with everyone." It gave mostly some pseudo-psychological stuff about how to look at people and secret handshakes that had impressed the author in the past. The most valuable insight (with a major "No shit, Sherlock" factor) was to be sympathetic to people and make them talk about themselves while making them feel you're interested in what they're saying/doing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2012, 09:50:50 PM
What kind of "self-help" are you looking for?  Relationships?  Career?  Mazlowesque self-actualization?

I dunno...I guess I need a book to help me figure that out.   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

Never. In fact I'm reading Francis Wheen's "How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World" and it devotes a whole chapter to the god-awful claptrap that is self-help books.

The closest I've come to a self-help book is probably "Eats Shoots and Leaves", which at least injected clarity into my punctuation life.

Richard Hakluyt

It might be interesting to read the Samuel Smiles book :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Help_%28book%29

I daresay you can get it free as well.

Josquius

How to make friends and influence people rather helped me.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2012, 04:16:40 AM

Not sure if serious.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2012, 04:50:56 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2012, 04:16:40 AM

Not sure if serious.
Yeah, serious. I was rather socially retarded back when I was a teen.
██████
██████
██████