Main Menu

Hover bike lets you drive like a Jedi

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2012, 05:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The future has finally arrived! :w00t:

www.nbcnews.com/technology/futureoftech/hover-bike-lets-you-drive-jedi-956125

http://youtu.be/FGw7qQlQWFM

QuoteA resurrected hover vehicle won't fly through dense forests as effortlessly as the "Star Wars" speeder bikes from "Return of the Jedi," but its intuitive controls could someday allow anyone to fly it without pilot training.

The aerial vehicle resembles a science fiction flying bike with two ducted rotors instead of wheels, but originates from a design abandoned in the 1960s because of stability and rollover problems. Aerofex, a California-based firm, fixed the stability issue by creating a mechanical system — controlled by two control bars at knee-level — that allows the vehicle to respond to a human pilot's leaning movements and natural sense of balance.

"Think of it as lowering the threshold of flight, down to the domain of ATV's (all-terrain vehicles)," said Mark De Roche, an aerospace engineer and founder of Aerofex.

Such intuitive controls could allow physicians to fly future versions of the vehicle to visit rural patients in places without roads, or enable border patrol officers to go about their duties without pilot training. All of it happens mechanically without the need for electronics, let alone complicated artificial intelligence or flight software. [Video: Hover 'Bike' Flies on Pilot's Intuition]

"It essentially captures the translations between the two in three axis (pitch, roll and yaw), and activates the aerodynamic controls required to counter the movement — which lines the vehicle back up with the pilot," De Roche told InnovationNewsDaily. "Since [the pilot's] balancing movements are instinctive and constant, it plays out quite effortlessly to him."

But Aerofex does not plan to immediately develop and sell a manned version. Instead, the aerospace firm sees the aerial vehicle as a test platform for new unmanned drones — heavy-lift robotic workhorses that could use the same hover technology to work in agricultural fields, or swiftly deliver supplies to search-and-rescue teams in rough terrain.

Even the soldiers or Special Forces might use such hover drones to carry or deliver heavy supplies in the tight spaces between buildings in cities. U.S. Marines have already begun testing robotic helicopters to deliver supplies in Afghanistan.

The hovering drones would not fly as efficiently as helicopters because of their shorter rotor blades, but their enclosed rotors have the advantage of a much smaller size and safety near humans.

"They are less efficient than a helicopter, which has the benefit of larger diameter rotors," De Roche explained. "They do have unique performance advantages, though, as they have demonstrated flight within trees, close to walls and under bridges."

Aerofex has currently limited human flight testing to a height of 15 feet and speeds of about 30 mph, but more out of caution rather than because of any technological limits. Older versions of the hover vehicles could fly about as fast as helicopters, De Roche said.

Flight testing in California's Mojave Desert led to the presentation of a technical paper regarding Aerofex's achievements at the Future Vertical Lift Conference in January 2012. The company plans to fly a second version of its vehicle in October, and also prepare an unmanned drone version for flight testing by the end of 2013.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Why does it take so long to develop these things?
And what is the power source?

So many questions:
1- What's the potential range and cargo load?
2- Can the technology be applied to a sedan-looking vehicle? What about tractor trailers? What about tanks and armored vehicles?
3- Can we abandon roads completely? (This would be a major redesign for our entire civilization)

This could be a potential multi-billion market. Why is Aerofex going so slow with this?

I smell BULLSHIT!!!!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Siege, hovercraft are nothing new.  It's just cheaper and easier to use wheels instead of giant fans to hover off the ground.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 07:48:17 PM
Siege, hovercraft are nothing new.  It's just cheaper and easier to use wheels instead of giant fans to hover off the ground.
I don't think they've been available to civilians in such a small package before though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

This one looks like it can hover much higher off the ground then typical hovercraft.  I think that's the difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 21, 2012, 05:19:41 PM
its intuitive controls could someday allow anyone to fly it without pilot training.

Man.....Fuck that.  In general, people are way too stupid to be flying.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 21, 2012, 08:09:26 PM
its intuitive controls could someday allow anyone to fly it without pilot training.

If you can only get 15ft off the ground, how much worse than driving a car could it be?

1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 21, 2012, 08:25:34 PM
If you can only get 15ft off the ground, how much worse than driving a car could it be?

They'll find a way to launch themselves.    Don't worry.

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 21, 2012, 08:25:34 PM

instead of a drunk rolling onto your lawn now he gets to go through your bedroom window
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

It's like flying cars...cool sure, but you need to develop AI control, or drunks will be dropping onto your roof instead of into light poles and other cars. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2012, 08:52:00 PM
It's like flying cars...cool sure, but you need to develop AI control, or drunks will be dropping onto your roof instead of into light poles and other cars.
If that really becomes a serious problem, just have them all installed with those alcohol detectors they put on the cars of habitual drunk drivers.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on August 21, 2012, 07:10:27 PM
Why does it take so long to develop these things?
And what is the power source?

So many questions:
1- What's the potential range and cargo load?
2- Can the technology be applied to a sedan-looking vehicle? What about tractor trailers? What about tanks and armored vehicles?
3- Can we abandon roads completely? (This would be a major redesign for our entire civilization)

This could be a potential multi-billion market. Why is Aerofex going so slow with this?

I smell BULLSHIT!!!!
The Soviets used hovercraft to invade Iceland in Red Storm Rising.
PDH!

Siege

That's what the assholes in horses said when horseless cars came about.

Siege

To me, the most interesting thing is how it would transform our civic architecture. Cities would not need streets anymore, and parking lots could be on roofs. Asymetrical warfare would evolve. A vbied (vehicle borne improvised explosive device) could now come from any direction. Self-driven cars would take this to the next level, allowing computer controlled multiple axis of attack. And of course, cyberwarfare would become the frontline of all wars.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Siege on August 22, 2012, 10:06:59 AM
To me, the most interesting thing is how it would transform our civic architecture. Cities would not need streets anymore, and parking lots could be on roofs. Asymetrical warfare would evolve. A vbied (vehicle borne improvised explosive device) could now come from any direction. Self-driven cars would take this to the next level, allowing computer controlled multiple axis of attack. And of course, cyberwarfare would become the frontline of all wars.

It does not fly, it hovers a few feet over the ground. :) Maybe someday we'll get our flying cars of yesterday's tomorrow.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom