News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you shop at discount stores?

Started by Martinus, August 21, 2012, 09:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Assuming the quality is comparable to that in normal department stores, do you shop at discount stores (such as Walmart or Lidl)?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Wait, Wal-Mart is a discount store?

What's non discount store then?

Of course, hell my GF gets most of her clothes at trift stores. (Women don't wear the clothe they buy, it's insane!)

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Syt

Depends on the chain. There's decent discount stores (Lidl, most Spar) and horrible ones (Penny, Zielpunkt/Plus). I try to stick to the ones that have good quality and don't make you cringe when you go in. Incidentally, my nearest grocery store is in the upper price segment, but it's still reasonably priced if you pay attention to what you buy or what's on offer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Well, there is a debate in Poland over the recent statistics about Poles shopping more at discount stores (Lidl, Aldi, Jeronimo Martins' "Biedronka") etc. The opposition right wingers argue this is yet another proof of Poles getting poorer, while the main stream/pro-PO media argue this just means Poles are getting smarter.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Assuming the quality is the same?
Not to do so would be retarded snobbery.

Even with slightly lower quality the savings are often good enough.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I have a Polish grocery across the street, but it's horribly overpriced.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2012, 09:18:53 AM
Wait, Wal-Mart is a discount store?

Well, the "discount store" entry in wikipedia has a picture of Wal-Mart next to it. :P

QuoteWhat's non discount store then?

Don't know about Americas, but in Europe Carrefour or Auchan would definitely qualify as non-discount not-upscale store. Possibly Tesco too.

derspiess

I go to Target.  Sometimes Wal-Mart, though the one closest to me is very much a "People of Wal-Mart" store.  And when I'm too lazy to drive to Home Depot, I may go to K-Mart for something lawn/garden-related. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Home Depot is expensive, atleast around here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I buy candy at Dollar stores. I buy my polack cookies at Big Lots. And dollar office supplies and coloring shit for the kids? Score!

Hell, I even shop at Goodwill. One day I'll catch those elusive wargames there. Plus if I want to look like a 70's slob, I'll go there.

I won't buy general groceries at a Dollar Store. or clothes. Or batteries. Worst batteries ever. And Tools at those places? Made in China crap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2012, 09:34:01 AM

That's weird.  They and Lowe's tend to be cheaper than other hardware places here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2012, 09:37:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2012, 09:34:01 AM

That's weird.  They and Lowe's tend to be cheaper than other hardware places here.

I'm starting to like that Menard's chain.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive