And we're back!

Main Menu

Dad's Army vs Al-Qaeda

Started by mongers, August 19, 2012, 08:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on August 20, 2012, 06:07:57 PM
Another interesting piece by Ms Hilsum:

Another interesting angle is that as part of the effort to transform to a civilian democracy and on the advice of well-meaning westerners to pursue development, military spending was cut sharply.  Which is one reason why the Malian regular army is short on weapons and struggling to pay salaries in the midst of a full-fledged civil war.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2012, 07:35:06 AM
If the american revolution wasn't about people wanting to live their own lives without others telling them how to live and what to believe then I don't know what revolution was about that.
not paying taxes? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on August 21, 2012, 12:44:55 PM
If the american revolution wasn't about people wanting to live their own lives without others telling them how to live and what to believe then I don't know what revolution was about that.
not paying taxes? ;)

It started out as a silly tax revolt and then found principles.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on August 21, 2012, 07:32:48 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2012, 07:24:37 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 21, 2012, 07:16:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 08:51:31 PM
You go to war with the tribal flintlock family heirloom you have, not the tribal flintlock family heirloom you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Just like those Yemeni tribesmen, that tough old bastard is as much the vanguard on the US war on Al Qaeda as any grunt in Afghanistan.  He deserves a Green Beanie airdrop.

This.

I know some regard them as only backward 'savages', but actually they're a natural ally; they're just people who want to live their own lives without others telling them how to live and what to believe, with is al-Qaeda.

Yeah, those redcoats never knew what hit them....

Viking goes off half-cocked, whereas this guy knows how to use his musket.  ;)

It was about the abuse of royal authority over local authority, specifically the taking away of a colonial charter.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 02:58:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 21, 2012, 07:32:48 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2012, 07:24:37 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 21, 2012, 07:16:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 08:51:31 PM
You go to war with the tribal flintlock family heirloom you have, not the tribal flintlock family heirloom you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Just like those Yemeni tribesmen, that tough old bastard is as much the vanguard on the US war on Al Qaeda as any grunt in Afghanistan.  He deserves a Green Beanie airdrop.

This.

I know some regard them as only backward 'savages', but actually they're a natural ally; they're just people who want to live their own lives without others telling them how to live and what to believe, with is al-Qaeda.

Yeah, those redcoats never knew what hit them....

Viking goes off half-cocked, whereas this guy knows how to use his musket.  ;)

It was about the abuse of royal authority over local authority, specifically the taking away of a colonial charter.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"