Favorite Sci-Fi (if you must, Fantasy as well) Universes?

Started by Queequeg, May 12, 2009, 12:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Discworld.  Only commies and Martinus' don't like Discworld.  The Kay's setting for the Fiovanar Tapestry was enjoyable too.  The Confederation of the Night's Dawn books is also well portrayed.
PDH!

Queequeg

Planescape.

Alternative England/Faerie of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 12, 2009, 02:55:01 PM
Discworld.  Only commies and Martinus' don't like Discworld.

Amen, brother.

As round and flat as a geological pizza, although without the anchovies. :cheers:
Experience bij!

Cerr

Queequeg

Why is Star Trek a favorite? Its so silly.  All the aliens somehow managed to evolve into near-perfect replicas of our own species and can breed with them, almost all alien species are ultra high concept, one note constructions, etc...at this point the best thing the universe has going for it is Retro-Future awesomeness. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on May 12, 2009, 07:07:32 PM
Why is Star Trek a favorite? Its so silly.  All the aliens somehow managed to evolve into near-perfect replicas of our own species and can breed with them, almost all alien species are ultra high concept, one note constructions, etc...at this point the best thing the universe has going for it is Retro-Future awesomeness.
That was explained in that Next Generation episode where most of the races where engineered by ancient alien superpowers to be based off of similar life.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 07:11:42 PM
That was explained in that Next Generation episode where most of the races where engineered by ancient alien superpowers to be based off of similar life.
Unless they are all of the same stock there is no way they could possible interbreed.  How would sperm survive in a Vulcan's vagina, or vice versa?  Let alone being able to, you know, enter the egg, start up, and be carried to term, and then not be retarded or sterile. 

Cerr

Yeah as Neil said, it was explained in TNG but really the interspecies mating was done mainly for storyline and character purposes.
Quee have you watched many episodes of TNG or DS9?

EDIT - Star Trek isn't the only scifi TV show that had interspecies breeding. IIRC Babylon 5 and Farscape both had it too.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on May 12, 2009, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 07:11:42 PM
Unless they are all of the same stock there is no way they could possible interbreed.  How would sperm survive in a Vulcan's vagina, or vice versa?  Let alone being able to, you know, enter the egg, start up, and be carried to term, and then not be retarded or sterile.
They're all the same, and the alien love gurus are better at engineering species than you are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Queequeg on May 12, 2009, 07:14:29 PM
[Why is Star Trek a favorite? Its so silly.  All the aliens somehow managed to evolve into near-perfect replicas of our own species and can breed with them, almost all alien species are ultra high concept, one note constructions, etc...at this point the best thing the universe has going for it is Retro-Future awesomeness.

Meh. I just thought TNG was fun. DS9 was the best quality of the Trek series, and actually addressed that interbreeding question when Worf and Jadzia were trying to have a baby.

Anyway, I'm more encyclopedic on Star Trek, but I'm more of a Star Wars nerd at heart. Particularly for the majority of the expanded universe stuff that took place from Rogue Squadron up until Vision of the Future. When they brought the Yuuzhan Vong into it, it killed my interest as quickly as Voyager killed my interest in Trek.
Experience bij!

Savonarola

Why is Star Trek a favorite? Its so silly. 

I think that's part of its appeal; at least of the original series.  Space Hippies, evil Spock with a goatee, Greek gods, robots who explode when exposed to paradoxes and many bizarre parallel earths all coexist and are all entertaining.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

BuddhaRhubarb

as a young person I was enamored of Riverworld, but I got better. Still have a soft spot for To Your Scattered Bodies Go, though.

Oh any of the universes depicted in John Varley's novels, Gene Wolfe, Philip K. Dick's as well. These guys are my "Master Class"
:p

DontSayBanana

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 12, 2009, 09:18:47 PM
as a young person I was enamored of Riverworld, but I got better. Still have a soft spot for To Your Scattered Bodies Go, though.

Oh any of the universes depicted in John Varley's novels, Gene Wolfe, Philip K. Dick's as well. These guys are my "Master Class"

Philip K. Dick was freaking amazing at rich settings. We need more of that kind nowadays; Timothy Zahn also did a spectacular job on his Cobra Trilogy.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 12, 2009, 09:18:47 PM
It's an interesting concept though.  All that old-time stuff is fascinating to me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!