Favorite Sci-Fi (if you must, Fantasy as well) Universes?

Started by Queequeg, May 12, 2009, 12:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 07:31:20 AM
Quote from: sbr on May 12, 2009, 01:10:21 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on May 12, 2009, 01:06:44 AM
There are only 3 Star Wars movies.
And the last one of those was borderline.

ewoks =
Quit being such a faggot.
I'm a faggot for not likeing ewoks?  :huh:

Syt

Quote from: Viking on May 12, 2009, 09:31:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 12, 2009, 09:28:56 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2009, 09:06:40 AM
I'm slightly surprised that Spellus isn't a fan of Turtledove's Videssos, since it is Byzantium/Persia/Armenia with magic.

I'm more surprised, even, that no one mentioned Gor yet.
:bleeding:

Edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4996410.stm

Edit2:There are an estimated 25,000 Goreans worldwide.

HOTT
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Haven't read a lot of SF and Fantasy, especially not in the last 15-20 years. Anyway...

Some universes I like:

LotR: sentimental reasons mainly.

Warhammer 40k: a triumph of corporate creativity. Great subtlety, especially considering that it is a commercial game setting for kids.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

vinraith

Quote from: Scipio on May 12, 2009, 07:46:35 AM
Urth of the New Sun.

Oh good, someone else here has read those books. :thumbsup:

And yeah, in my original post I completely forgot Asimov's Foundation, which certainly belongs on the list.

Faeelin

Quote from: vinraith on May 12, 2009, 11:51:37 AM
Oh good, someone else here has read those books. :thumbsup:

And yeah, in my original post I completely forgot Asimov's Foundation, which certainly belongs on the list.

I don't get the foundation love. They were cute, sure, but they were also a bit... I dunno. Maybe it's just the way they're dated, to me. "Oh, this is my fission powered garbage can. And behold the triumph of Foundation miniaturization, a pocket calculator!"

I think the bigger problem is my enjoyment of the first three books was ruined by the stuff he wrote later, in his grand scheme to tie all his stories together.

Aasimov could write astonishingly well, though, and showed something that is now passe in most scifi, optimism about the future. The Stars, Like Dust, is a bit silly at times, but it's very clearly of a time when people (or at least white male scifi authors) felt optimistic about the future.

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 09:21:22 AM
The whole problem with the Videssos 'verse is that, literally, "goddidit."  Given the actual existence of an omnipotent god and an omnipotent devil, the meaningless actions of a few mortals becomes uninteresting.

Doesn't this ruin most fantasy works then?

Even Tolkien, in LOTR, talks about some sort of invisible hand guiding things so righteousness prevails.

saskganesh

Middle Earth, though its trite now, as it has lost a lot of mystique.

... Westeros (damn you FatMan)

Tigana (a one shot, but a good one). Kaye is pretty good at creating "alternatives." As he would create a new world every book, but all based on some period of real history, his worlds seemed to make enough sense without him having to spend a lot of time on it.

the alt NA in Piper's "Lord Kalvan". I loved the politics around the gunpowder controlling church.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: sbr on May 12, 2009, 11:31:30 AM
Yes.  Trying to be too cool for school only results in failure and faggotry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

I like the various multiverses in both Marvel & DC comics. as far as movies go Trek-verse probably. though I like the Star Wars universe also. (much more than most of the movies.... so much potential) also Firefly is a nice and well defined considering the dearth of material. B5-verse is also very cool.
:p

The Brain

Westeros fails since it happens to be a bland industrial city in central Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

vinraith

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 12:14:53 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 12, 2009, 11:31:30 AM
Yes.  Trying to be too cool for school only results in failure and faggotry.

While the ewok hate is has grown to a kind of frantic nerd rage reserved for people that care too damn much about those movies to begin with, it's not unreasonable to mourn the original, darker plot elements of that third movie. Han sacrificing himself to destroy the Death Star, for example, always struck me as a poetic way to go out (and a way to avoid hundreds of crappy novels about him, for that matter).

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2009, 12:19:02 PM
Westeros fails since it happens to be a bland industrial city in central Sweden.

I know Belgium is fiction, but I didn't think Västerås was fictional as well?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on May 12, 2009, 11:58:47 AM
I don't get the foundation love. They were cute, sure, but they were also a bit... I dunno. Maybe it's just the way they're dated, to me. "Oh, this is my fission powered garbage can. And behold the triumph of Foundation miniaturization, a pocket calculator!"
The originals suffered from this, but also from the fact that the only memorable character in them was The Mule, and he was memorable solely because Asimov made him a freak.

QuoteI think the bigger problem is my enjoyment of the first three books was ruined by the stuff he wrote later, in his grand scheme to tie all his stories together.

Aasimov could write astonishingly well, though, and showed something that is now passe in most scifi, optimism about the future. The Stars, Like Dust, is a bit silly at times, but it's very clearly of a time when people (or at least white male scifi authors) felt optimistic about the future.
The later books definitely lacked even the limited appeal of the first books.  Asimov was like Niven, I think:  he could create great concepts for stories, but was a mediocre writer at best so most of these great story ideas became mediocre books.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: vinraith on May 12, 2009, 12:23:36 PM
While the ewok hate is has grown to a kind of frantic nerd rage reserved for people that care too damn much about those movies to begin with, it's not unreasonable to mourn the original, darker plot elements of that third movie. Han sacrificing himself to destroy the Death Star, for example, always struck me as a poetic way to go out (and a way to avoid hundreds of crappy novels about him, for that matter).
I don't have any problem with a happy ending.

The ewoks taught us an invaluable lesson about racism, and so are just fine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on May 12, 2009, 12:01:10 PM
Doesn't this ruin most fantasy works then?

Even Tolkien, in LOTR, talks about some sort of invisible hand guiding things so righteousness prevails.
In LOTR, the "supernatural" forces acting for good have little ability other than to subtly effect weather and the like.  In The legion series, the good guys triumph when the devil literally drags his minion (the main bad guy) into hell, in the middle of the climactic battle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!