Favorite Sci-Fi (if you must, Fantasy as well) Universes?

Started by Queequeg, May 12, 2009, 12:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Our little discussion in Star Trek started me thinking (cue groaning); what are your guys'es favorite Sci Fi universes?

This is really, really obvious for me; Dune, by several miles.  The first book was an obsession of mine.  Probably had a big impact on my interest in the Mid-East, Comparative Religion, tough poor people and whatnot. 

Alpha Centauri fucking ruled.  So did Fallout. 

Anyone else?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sophie Scholl

Sci-fi I'd go with Star Wars from Knights of the Old Republic through the victory Celebration on Endor.  All the crap after that is awful.  I also dig the Warhammer 40k/Horus Heresy stuff.  It's fun in a pulp-ish way.  Babylon 5 was also quite good and nicely developed as a universe with a distinct history.  I really like the settings where there's background enough to truly feel immersed within them.  This tends to limit one off novels and movies as well as games.

I've never actually read Dune, but everyone here seems to be a fan more or less, so maybe I'll track it down sometime.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on May 12, 2009, 12:35:04 AM
Sci-fi I'd go with Star Wars from Knights of the Old Republic through the victory Celebration on Endor.  All the crap after that is awful.

Agreed, though as univeerse with background detail and race interaction I much prefer the B5 universe.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Faeelin

Stargate. The USAF with a fleet of intergalactic warships is awesome.

vinraith

If we're talking games: probably a tie between Sun & Storm and Warhammer 40K.

If we're talking books, I'd agree with Dune and add Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

Cinema/TV probably provide the least interesting entries, though the original Alien/Aliens universe is an interesting mess from the glimpses of it we get. I can't think of any TV Sci-Fi that I really enjoyed because of the universe it created, though as in all things Farscape and B5 are a cut above the rest.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on May 12, 2009, 12:37:51 AM
Agreed, though as univeerse with background detail and race interaction I much prefer the B5 universe.

I'm actually a fan of the Clone Wars era probably the most.  It seems the most interesting to me, as there is no black and white struggle, just a whole bunch of grey area conflicts as opposed to the Rebellion v. The Empire or Jedi v. Sith.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Fireblade

I just watched Firefly and it was cool as shit. Why was it canceled after one season? :(

Jaron and I used to play this MUD called Planets: Quest for Galactic Domination though. There wasn't really a "backstory" to it or anything (unless you count "pwn everyone" to be a backstory), but it will always be what I look for in a sci-fi game. EVE came kinda close to what I was looking for, but having to mine for a month to afford some semi-decent shit sucked.

Star Wars will always have a special place in my heart, though.  :wub:

sbr

Quote from: Fireblade on May 12, 2009, 12:55:42 AM
Me too, I was 7 when the first movie came out; no matter how badly they fucked the series up I will always love the Star Wars universe.

katmai

the universe of Renegade Legion from games
Farscape from cinema/tv
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fireblade

Quote from: sbr on May 12, 2009, 01:04:38 AM
Me too, I was 7 when the first movie came out; no matter how badly they fucked the series up I will always love the Star Wars universe.

There are only 3 Star Wars movies.

Fireblade

Actually, the worst problem with Star Wars is that George Lucas created it. :bleeding:

sbr

Quote from: Fireblade on May 12, 2009, 01:06:44 AM

And the last one of those was borderline.

ewoks =

Has anyone read any of the Saga of Recluce books by L.E. Modesitt?  I have read a large handful and the world he created is pretty interesting, the books themselves tend to be a bit repetitive but the world is pretty unique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Recluce

Iormlund

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on May 12, 2009, 01:10:21 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on May 12, 2009, 01:06:44 AM

And the last one of those was borderline.

ewoks =

Has anyone read any of the Saga of Recluce books by L.E. Modesitt?  I have read a large handful and the world he created is pretty interesting, the books themselves tend to be a bit repetitive but the world is pretty unique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Recluce
LOL yeah. I liked the world, but it got a bit boring with the Upteenth character going through the motions of the Mormon work ethics. :P

Martinus

Anyway, I'm gonna go Dune for the best sci fi world.