Scandal as Finnish national hero Mannerheim played by black actor

Started by Solmyr, August 16, 2012, 05:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2012, 06:17:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 16, 2012, 06:10:13 AM
ah, so they're purposfully being dicks to piss of otthers finns? Oh well, just a movie.

YLE the Production Company is the finnish national TV company that is funded by a general license fee on all TVs. So basically it is not some people being dicks with their own money. They are being dicks with Solmyr's "tax" money.

They are also introducing an "Yle tax" starting from next year that everyone will have to pay (except poor-income people). So no more dodging TV license fees.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2012, 06:21:35 AM
Well, I'm of two minds on this.

On one hand, we are used, in general, to the cinema being visually faithful. On the other hand, most of the history of theatre (which can be seen as the mother of cinema) was about men playing women or white actors using black face to play Othello.

So even if there is a certain expectation about cinema that this choice makes grating, I am not sure if we should revaluate it or not.

yes, but that was because

1 - actressess were whores
2 - actors were and still are gays
3 - the few black people in london were musicians
4 - marty still is a man playing a woman
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

As for the film itself, I don't care for it either way, since I have no interest in artsy love-story dramas regardless of their actors. It's just fun watching the train wreck as all the extreme nationalist nutjobs are coming out of the woodwork while the Yle producer and his crew are desperately trying to offer excuses for their cover-up.

Josquius

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2012, 06:00:36 AM
The problem is that this was advertised as *the* definitive historical biopic of Mannerheim. Somewhere along the way it turned into an art film with a budget of 20000 euros but this was never revealed until now.

I could see the annoyance there if people were expecting a big, 'proper' film but as things stand...meh. Same sort of thing as that version of Richard III that took place in a weird 1930sesque fascist state.

That the far right are showing their true colours though can only be a good thing.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2012, 06:21:34 AM
In a similar vein, btw, there's a rather amusing 70s movie about the Battle of Little Big Horn, filmed on location in central Paris (in and around the pit that would later be the Centre Pompidou).

It's a bit bizarre (all actors use historical costumes), but still very watchable if you get past the weirdness.

Touche pas à la femme blanche ! a.k.a Non toccare la donna bianca !
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072305/
It was meant as a parody from the beginning though.

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2012, 06:17:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 16, 2012, 06:10:13 AM
ah, so they're purposfully being dicks to piss of otthers finns? Oh well, just a movie.

YLE the Production Company is the finnish national TV company that is funded by a general license fee on all TVs. So basically it is not some people being dicks with their own money. They are being dicks with Solmyr's "tax" money.
Yeah but state broadcasters exist to make politically-motivated shit that nobody would watch.  This is what they're here for.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

maybe the plan is to save money on Timoshenko's massive assaults on the mannerheim line by pirating scenes from black hawk down?

Malthus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on August 16, 2012, 08:35:42 AM
Does it have hobbits?   :hmm:

It's supposed to be about Finns. Aren't they sort of like depressed hobbits?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2012, 08:41:33 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on August 16, 2012, 08:35:42 AM
Does it have hobbits?   :hmm:

It's supposed to be about Finns. Aren't they sort of like depressed hobbits?  :P

Tall blonde alcoholic depressive ski-jumpers

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2012, 08:40:28 AM
maybe the plan is to save money on Timoshenko's massive assaults on the mannerheim line by pirating scenes from black hawk down?

And the Finnish partisans will be portrayed by the rap scene from Men in Tights.